Visual studio code can't be installed. What can I do?

Hello. When installing visual-studio-code-bin, I get this error:

==> ERROR: Cannot find the strip binary required for object file stripping.

Someone recommended me to install base-devel, but I found odd that I had to reinstall a bunch of packages just to get that meta package installed.

So what do I have to do to get visual studio code installed in a new fresh manjaro kde installation?

I know this isn’t quite what you ask, but I use Code OSS. It is available in the community repository and is essentially VS Code compiled to run on Manjaro. It is easy to install and, as near as I can tell, is indistinguishable from VS Code. It looks identical, uses the exact same plugins, and even needs the telemetry turned off just like VS Code would require.

1 Like

You can search with pamac:
pamac search visual-studio
Choose the bin…
pamac install visual-studio-code-bin
Sorted.

Add the --needed flag to the pacman command - this will only install missing packages

sudo pacman -Syu base-devel --needed

Even your system is fresh - there may be updates.

Do not sync new packages to your system without syncing installed packages as well.

VSCode is in the Archlinux repo and as such also a part of Manjaro official repo - and as you updated your system you can now skip the yu part

sudo pacman -S code

But if you want the Microsoft version you will need to use pamac to build the microsoft version. Pamac itself will install the necessary packages required to build a local package.

2 Likes

Hi don’t know if it is an option for you: The VS-code Snap repository works right out of the box, it follows Microsoft’s “opensource” guidelines stuff which enables the use of marketplace API.

sudo snap install code --classic
// or
sudo snap install code-insiders --classic

Cheers!

According to the Arch Wiki:

As for the output you’re getting, you need the package binutils (it provides the strip binary) which is part of the base-devel group, as mentioned above.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.