VirtualBox can't load kernel drivers

I installed virtualbox with sudo pacman -S virtualbox, and it can’t start the virtual machine:

Kernel driver not installed(rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux Kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing '/sbin/vboxconfig' as root.
If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules(vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system;s documentation for more information.

where suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

I tried to config with sudo /sbin/vboxconfig, but in /sbin there is no vboxconfig. I tried signing modules until I realised that my laptop does not gave secureboot. modeprobe vboxdriver failed as well with the message modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.12-1-MANJARO. I also tried reinstalling vbox, yet nothing worked. I am currently out of ideas except making my own kernel, but I am pretty sure that this might be a bad idea.

Looks like it didn’t install the required host modules, check to see if linux515-virtualbox-host-modules is installed

2 Likes

I had the same issue. For me installing the kernel virtualbox module, as suggested by NGr, was the solution.

sudo pacman -S linux515-virtualbox-host-modules
3 Likes

Always consult the wiki :wink:

Install VirtualBox

To install VirtualBox, you need to install the packages virtualbox and linux*-virtualbox-host-modules. The latter must match the version of the kernel you are running.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/VirtualBox#Installing_Virtualbox_on_Manjaro

3 Likes

It might be that your user is not added to vboxusers group. You can use Manjaro Settings Manager to do it or you can do it in the terminal.

Example:
Screenshot_20220119_073802_vboxusers

1 Like
1 Like

Installing linux515-virtualbox-host-modules did the job. I didn’t know that manjaro has it’s own wiki page, just switched from mint and used for the first time manjaro. Wish I knew it had a wiki page. Yet, I think it would have been nice if pacman installed this dependency by itself even if I wouldn’t have gathered that much experience.

Also thank you manjaro forum community for replying so fast, I appreaciate your effort.
What I have learned from this is that VirtualBox needs a kernel module, there is a group named vboxusers and to always search for a wiki, no matter what distro you use.

I installed virtualbox through pamac and don’t remember having to install the host modules separately.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.