Virtual Box Kernel driver not installed (rc=1908)

I tried to make a VM with Virtualbox and followed the manjaro wiki steps and when I tried to load the VM with the windows ISO I got the Error mentioned on the tittle of this post, I’ve tried checking if I had installed the Linux515 and it shows up as installed, I’ve also tried doing sudo pacman -S virtualbox-host-dkms so I don’t know what’s wrong with my Kernel, if anyone can help me I appreciate the effort! I’ll try to respond ASAP and if you need anything from me just let me know!

Do you have the linux515-virtualbox-host-modules package installed?

I feel like you might have missed a step in the wiki. Did you reboot, did you add your user to the vboxusers group?

I Prolly missed this step, but when I went to the settings and I didn’t see the setting to put me in the vboxuser group, I’ll try to see if I can figure it out

still didn’t work, I didn’t had the boxes ticked but I tried it again and it didn’t work, now about the linux515 I Installed it with the following command “sudo pacman -Syu virtualbox-guest-utils linux54-virtualbox-guest-modules”, “sudo pacman -S virtualbox-host-dkms” and this “sudo pacman -S linux515-virtualbox-host-modules” I don’t know what step I’m missing rn

After installing virtualbox you must run this command in terminal (without it vbox won’t run and will cry about kernel):

sudo modprobe vboxdrv

This will add you to the vboxusers group
sudo gpasswd -a $USER vboxusers
You also need linux515-virtualbox-guest-modules not linux54-virtualbox-guest-modules.
Then reboot to load virtualbox

Got this error…
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/5.15.60-1-MANJARO

Install virtualbox-host-dkms and run the command again. Whenever I need virtualbox, I always install these two packages: virtualbox virtualbox-host-dkms and never had a problem running the command I gave you.

@iceblock did you ever get a fix here? i am having the same problem and am now stuck on the FATAL… after entering modprobe…

or does anybody have any other suggestions? i know the modprob fix works when i was on garuda sway. not here though as far as i can tell.

also, i tried every other fix suggested in this thread and no joy for me yet.

1 year later

actually, 1 and a half …

It would serve you better if you created your own thread with your own description.

Make sure your system is fully up to date and also that you are using / having installed a recent supported kernel - only then will you have access to the necessary kernel headers to use dkms.
… which should not even be necessary
because that module is part of every standard kernel …

@nachlese isn’t it ok to add to the thread since the answer was never found? esp since it’s the first hit on google? i assume this is an ongoing problem, so it would be good to see a solution coming from google.

i just did a fresh install today, cinnamon version, and it’s up to date. it’s the first program i have installed, virtual box. i haven’t done anything to the system but try and install virtual box, but i get this error.

my system is 64bit, intel i7 10, amd 6650.

what do you mean access to the necessary headers, since i’m on standard kernel and fresh install/up to date, wouldn’t i automatically have access to them, whatever they are?

Please create your own thread an reference this one if applicable instead of necrobumping. Please see Forum Rules - Manjaro