Viewing files on a network drive

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

A few things to note.

1. You don’t want to use the file manager’s built-in smb:// protocol. This uses GFVS (Nemo, Nautilus, Thunar) or KIO (Dolphin). Think of this as an extra layer of abstraction. It’s worse in performance, and also can carry other issues.
  2. The kernel’s CIFS module (invoked via mount.cifs) is superior and uses no extra abstraction layers.

In order to use the inferior methods (GVFS / KIO), you use their built-in smb:// protocol.

In order to use the superior native kernel CIFS module, you invoke it with mount.cifs, which can be done via (a) manually mounting with the mount command, or (b) creating an fstab entry, or (c) using systemd mount units, or (d) using autofs (outdated).

If you look at my example templates, the systemd units have two parts.

One is the mount unit, which instructs it on things like the filesystem type (cifs), the location where to mount it (/mnt/cifs/macmini), and the source/device (//192.168.0.22/mac-mini), and other options.

The other is the automount unit. This is paired with each respective mount unit, and its role is to automatically trigger the mount unit when someone tries to access the particular location (such as trying to access the folder /mnt/cifs/macmini)

This means if everything is configured correctly, you can create a Favorite / Shortcut (in the side panel) with your file manager: Thunar, Nemo, Nautilus, Dolphin, doesn’t matter. Any time you visit this folder, the automount unit will automatically trigger the mount unit to start (thus, you don’t need to manually mount the cifs filesystem every single time.)

So, with that said, don’t use smb:// (or whatever built-in tool in your file manager).

Under “What” in your mount unit, it appears you accidentally wrote it out as:
//192.168.0.22/macmini

However, I believe you said your share name is actually mac-mini with a hypen in between:
//192.168.0.22/mac-mini

What you can do is edit the files you made under the hidden folder ~/.cifs/ and make the proper corrections.

Afterwards, save the files, and then copy them over once again to replace the existing ones under /etc/systemd/system/

sudo cp -v ~/.cifs/mnt-cifs-macmini.mount /etc/systemd/system/
sudo cp -v ~/.cifs/mnt-cifs-macmini.automount /etc/systemd/system/

And make sure to reload the systemd daemon again for the changes to take effect in your system:

sudo systemctl daemon-reload

To play it safe, also manually “stop” (unmount) the mount unit and “restart” the automount unit:

sudo systemctl stop mnt-cifs-macmini.mount
sudo systemctl restart mnt-cifs-macmini.automount

Whenever you want to add more network/CIFS shares, you can do the same concept with a pair of mount/automount units, and use your existing units as a “template” to get the idea.

Now just visit the folder /mnt/cifs/macmini or, even better, make a shortcut / favorite of it on your file manager’s side panel for quick access.

If you’re still getting issues, you can paste the contents of your actual unit files:

cat ~/.cifs/mnt-cifs-macmini.mount
cat ~/.cifs/mnt-cifs-macmini.automount

And also if the mount is actually working:

mount | grep cifs

Here is a screenshot and note down the bottom it appears to be using cifs

When I open a terminal on my server I get the following:

that seems to suggest I’m still using samba? Totally confused and also stumped on why I can’t open text files that always gives me the ‘pipe broken’ error. Everything else seems fine.

You’re using GVFS. Not sure why you keep using the file manager’s built-in smb:// protocol. (This uses the inferior abstraction layer.)

Did you read my followup on what to do? (And the corrections to make.)

And also once you’ve done it, to then output the contents in here?

I’m also confused. I thought you said the share name was “mac-mini”, but the share’s name is actually “trevor”?

If that’s the case, the “What” should point to //192.168.0.22/trevor

I done the changes like you suggested. I am a bit confused on the share name part. My username is trevor but the actual share name I think is mac-mini.local and this is what I added to my newly created configuration. In all the files I replaced “winnie” with “trevor” and “sharename” with “mac-mini.local.”

I’m also a bit confused on how I access it if I don’t use file manager. Below is the following output:
cat ~/.cifs/mnt-cifs-mac-mini.local.mount
[Unit]
Description=CIFS network mount for mac-mini.local
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Mount]
What=//192.168.0.22/mac-mini.local
Where=/mnt/cifs/mac-mini.local
Options=cache=loose,iocharset=utf8,rw,actimeo=60,x-systemd.automount,uid=1000,gid=1000,forceuid,forcegid,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,credentials=/home/trevor/.cifs/.cifs-mac-mini.local-credentials
Type=cifs
TimeoutSec=10

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

cat ~/.cifs/mnt-cifs-mac-mini.local.automount
[Unit]
Description=Automount for CIFS mac-mini.local

[Automount]
Where=/mnt/cifs/mac-mini.local
TimeoutIdleSec=120

[Install]

There’s some fundamentals you’re missing that might require some learning of these concepts.

The Share Name is the name of the actual SMB share (as presented by the server.)

The Server Name is something else. It’s the host name of the actual server.

You’re confusing these two together.

Your mnt-cifs-macmini.mount file should look like this. Notice what I changed.

[Unit]
Description=CIFS network mount for trevor share on mac-mini
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target

[Mount]
What=//192.168.0.22/trevor
Where=/mnt/cifs/macmini
Options=cache=loose,iocharset=utf8,rw,actimeo=60,x-systemd.automount,uid=1000,gid=1000,forceuid,forcegid,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,credentials=/home/trevor/.cifs/.cifs-mac-mini.local-credentials
Type=cifs
TimeoutSec=10

[Install]

Your mnt-cifs-macmini.automount file should look like this, to match the above mount unit:

[Unit]
Description=Automount for CIFS network mount for trevor share on mac-mini

[Automount]
Where=/mnt/cifs/macmini
TimeoutIdleSec=120

[Install]

The file names for these units matter. They must match the same format as where the “path” to the mount is going to exist.

Therefor, you should delete the ones you previously created and use the above instead.

sudo rm -v /etc/systemd/system/mnt-cifs-*

rm -v ~/.cifs/mnt-cifs*

Then copy the new ones into /etc/systemd/system and reload the daemon again.

The above examples mean that to access this network share, you visit the folder /mnt/cifs/macmini. Which you can also make a favorite / shortcut of it in your side panel.

You’ll notice it will automatically mount the filesystem using “cifs”, essentially auto-invoking something like:

mount -t cifs -o bunch,of,options //192.168.0.22 /mnt/cifs/macmini

I really do appreceate all this help. I’m just going to make the changes now. Do you use Gnome or kde?

Me? I just humbly use…

K

D

E

:love_you_gesture: :guitar: :exploding_head:
:rocket: :bomb: :zap:

I like kde except for the trackpad gestures. I have set it up to use touchegg but still not quite as good as gnomes. I think I might change back to manjaro kde and implement these setting on it. Gnome is okay but not as easy to use and customize as kde. I’ll be back later Winnie and again thanks for the help. Where are you at? I’m in Bundaberg, Queensland Australia…

Also do you use kernel 5.17? It says its experimental in Manjaro…

Don’t use 5.17 yet. Stick with 5.15 (LTS) or 5.16.

Fantastic. I got it and it’s great. I don’t know why it wouldn’t work so well on gnome but on kde its quick and displays all files. I want to thank you for all the fantastic help you’ve given me @

1 Like

Are you sure it’s working though? I can’t tell by the screenshot. (And it should work the same on GNOME or Xfce, if it’s working for you under KDE.)

What does this output when you’re browsing the share?

mount | grep cifs

Also,

systemctl status mnt-cifs-macmini.mount

Make sure you’re not using the GVFS / KIO method (in which the file manager is responsible for connecting the the share), but rather only use the kernel method (cifs module), which is what systemd’s automount does.

(Just because you got systemd mounts working, doesn’t mean you can’t still use the inferior GVFS / KIO method, which is what I’m worried you might accidentally do.)

Output from grep says:

systemd-1 on /mnt/cifs/macmini type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=49,pgrp=1,timeout=120,mi
nproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=12819)
//192.168.0.22/trevor on /mnt/cifs/macmini type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=default,cach
e=loose,username=trevor,domain=workgroupclear,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=1000,forcegid,a
ddr=192.168.0.22,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,iocharset=utf8,soft,nounix,serverino,
mapposix,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=60,x-sy
stemd.automount)

and systemctl status mnt-cifs-macmini.mount says:

● mnt-cifs-macmini.mount - CIFS network mount for trevor share on mac-mini
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mnt-cifs-macmini.mount; disabled; vendor >
Active: active (mounted) since Sun 2022-03-13 08:09:01 AEST; 13min ago
Until: Sun 2022-03-13 08:09:01 AEST; 13min ago
TriggeredBy: ● mnt-cifs-macmini.automount
Where: /mnt/cifs/macmini
What: //192.168.0.22/trevor
Tasks: 0 (limit: 7008)
Memory: 20.0K
CPU: 8ms
CGroup: /system.slice/mnt-cifs-macmini.mount

Mar 13 08:09:01 manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Mounting CIFS network mount for trevor sha>
lines 1-13…skipping…

Mar 13 08:09:01 manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Mounting CIFS network mount for trevor sha>
Mar 13 08:09:01 manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Mounted CIFS network mount for trevor shar>
lines 1-14…skipping…

Mar 13 08:09:01 manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Mounted CIFS network mount for trevor shar>
~
lines 1-14/14 (END)…skipping…

~
~

~
~
~

~
~
~
~

~
~
~
~
~

~
~
~
~
~
~

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mnt-cifs-macmini.mount; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)

Mar 13 08:09:01 manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Mounting CIFS network mount for trevor share on mac-mini…
Mar 13 08:09:01 manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Mounted CIFS network mount for trevor share on mac-mini.

So it all seems okay? I haven’t got gnome installed on any distro yet but will perhaps try out the new Zorin. I’m quite enjoying this kde version of manjaro though :computer: :slightly_smiling_face:

Everything looks fine, except for one odd detail I noticed.

domain=workgroupclear

What is “workgroupclear”? It should only be workgroup, as that is the default for most SMB home servers. It doesn’t really have much of an effect for basic setups, but I found it odd that yours reads “workgroupclear”. (You can ignore this for now. It’s not that big of a deal, really.)

Also, please use the proper formatting when pasting a lot of terminal output. It’s very hard to read and takes up too much space otherwise.

You can also clean up your side panel, so that it’s less confusing and less cluttered. Your Favorite that you named “Mac Mini” (with the sleek computer icon) will always be there for you to click on. :+1: However, Dolphin’s auto-generated “Remote” entries will disappear after a couple minutes of inactivity.

Even though this is a screenshot of Dolphin, the above concept (using systemd mount/automount units) works the same with Nemo, Nautilus, and Thunar.

Finally, never use smb:// or any file manager’s “user-friendly” built-in method of connecting to a network share or SMB share. It will use the inferior and slower GVFS/KIO method. :-1:

Does the systemd method make sense now? You see how it is not dependent on your desktop environment or file manager? How it is universal and agnostic?

Study your two unit files,

• mnt-cifs-macmini.mount
  • mnt-cifs-macmini.automount

Notice how their filenames exactly match the path location where the filesystem will be mounted? (The “dashes” become “slashes” when systemd parses them.)

mnt-cifs-macmini is mounted at the location/mnt/cifs/macmini

Study the contents within. They make a template that you can use for later, to make new mount/automount units, and to make changes to existing units.

It’s best to keep them nice and safe in your personal ~/.cifs/ folder. They do nothing in here, but they can be available to edit and then replace the old ones under /etc/systemd/system

After you copy them over to replace the old ones under /etc/systemd/system, make sure to remember to reload the systemd daemon with sudo systemctl daemon-reload for the newly modified units to take effect.

If for whatever reason some time in the future you cannot access the mount (i.e, clicking the Favorite bookmark doesn’t do anything or loads an empty folder), you can check the unit’s status for a possible error message and/or force the mount unit to stop and restart the automount unit:

systemctl status mnt-cifs-macmini.mount
sudo systemctl stop mnt-cifs-macmini.mount
sudo systemctl restart mnt-cifs-macmini.automount

Summary:
automount units wait for any type of access / interaction with the location. Can be triggered by casually browsing to the mount location in your file manager, or clicking on a shortcut/favorite, or browsing to it with the terminal, or even when you download a file in your web browser and point it to the location. The moment this happens, the automount unit triggers the mount unit.

mount units are what actually mount the filesystem to the location defined within their config. They can be invoked manually or automatically by a likewise paired automount unit.

@defossil
… like this:

Output from grep says:

systemd-1 on /mnt/cifs/macmini type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=49,pgrp=1,timeout=120,mi
nproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=12819)
//192.168.0.22/trevor on /mnt/cifs/macmini type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=default,cach
e=loose,username=trevor,domain=workgroupclear,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=1000,forcegid,a
ddr=192.168.0.22,file_mode=0775,dir_mode=0775,iocharset=utf8,soft,nounix,serverino,
mapposix,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=60,x-sy
stemd.automount)

and systemctl status mnt-cifs-macmini.mount says:

lines 1-13…skipping…

lines 1-14…skipping…

~

~
~

~
~
~

~
~
~
~

~
~
~
~
~

~
~
~
~
~
~

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/mnt-cifs-macmini.mount; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)

Mar 13 08:09:01 manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Mounting CIFS network mount for trevor share on mac-mini…
Mar 13 08:09:01 manjaro-kde systemd[1]: Mounted CIFS network mount for trevor share on mac-mini.
1 Like

Yeah I think what happened with workgroupclear is that I was editing in nano and must have thought I was back in a terminal prompt and entered clear to clear the screen. Also sorry about the messy output (screendump) :speech_balloon:

If you’re all good to go, make sure to mark the #7 post in this thread as the “Solution” so that others can benefit if they bump into a similar problem.