Video Editing/Processing Applications cause system crash (reboot)

Hi,

Firstly I will say thanks for any help and support in advance. Secondly, I want to preface with saying I am very new to Linux, and even more new to the Arch distribution having come from Kubuntu.

I am really liking the Manjaro build and have been using it for the last 4 months as my main workhorse and MacOS as my work computer. But still much too learn of course!

I am having difficulties with video editing and recording on my desktop with Manjaro. It seems to be crashing whenever I record screen capture then try to export or rather process it. Whenever the processing of a video (even a GIF longer than 30seconds!) starts after a random amount of time I get a system failure with no messages but just a hard reboot.

I am not sure if this is CPU or Graphics Card related. I understand there are some RX590 driver issues from about 2018 but they seem to be ironed out by now? Anyway here are my specs. If there are further details I can give please let me know.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6 Core
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX590 8GB Rev2
RAM: Silicon Power 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz
SSD: Silicon Power 1TB SSD
MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX
PSU: Thermaltake 700W Smart RGB+

Manjaro System Info

KDE: 5.20.4
Kernel: 5.8.18-1-MANJARO
64 Bit

Hello,

I would suggest changing the kernel. 5.8 is EOL = end of life. You can safely install 5.10 now and see how it performs.
Regarding the video editing and recording, what software are you using?

• OBS
  • Kdenlive
  • simplescreen recorder
  • Peek
  • OpenShot
  • other video editor ?

The reason why is important to know, is to trim down the information, to get to the bottom of the real issue.

I had a similar issue to this a few months ago, the PC was fine for normal everyday use but would hard reset with anything demanding.

It turned out to be a failing PSU, I found there was a lot of variability on the 12 volt rail (the 5 volt rail was steady). This may not be your issue but worth investigating.

1 Like

Thanks for that feedback, I didn’t mention this but I should so apologies, however I did try recently a dual boot install into Windows to see if it was maybe OS or hardware. I found that in Windows I have no issues and there are no hard resets, so which led me to conclude it must be with OS and drivers?

@bogdancovaciu - I will definitely try updating the kernel and see if that makes a big difference, will let you know after this is done, thanks for the feedback!

WRT Software, had the issue with pretty much all of those mentioned actually. It didn’t seem to matter what software I tried sadly. The main apps I want to use is OBS, Kdenlive and peek, but even when I recorded a gif that went for one 1 min then tried exporting, the OS just hard resets :frowning:

@bogdancovaciu - Upgrading the Kernel has fixed the issue.

In summary

I initially tried moving to .10 kernel but had network driver issues. However found processing videos was no longer crashing. I rolled back .8 and then went with .9 to see if that had issues with network driver. I had no issues with network driver on 5.9 and tried processing videos and found no issues.

I will need to look at how I resolve network card drivers separately in the move to .10, but that is a side issue and I will get to that when I need to.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.