Vala-panel-appmenu: Unable to install (various errors)

I’m trying to install vala-panel-appmenu via AUR packages on an Manjaro-XFCE distribution. The prerequisites (gobject-introspection as well as “appmenu-gtk-module” are installed.
I am trying to install the packages vala-panel-appmenu-registrar, vala-panel-appmenu-common as well as vala-panel-appmenu-xfce.
On a machine I’m administering remotely, I got an error message: the whole budgie desktop was listed as a requirement.
Upon trying to reproduce the error, I deinstalled -registrar, -common and -xfce on my machine.
This time, I got a different error:

PKGBUILD doesn’t exist.

The -registrar package seems to be installed without a problem.
Can anyone make sense of this error and point me to a possible solution?

The version numbers of packages I am trying to install:
vala-panel-appmenu-registrar 0.7.6-1 (AUR)
vala-panel-appmenu-common 0.7.6-2 (AUR)
vala-panel-appmenu-xfce 0.7.6-2 (AUR)

Kind regards,

Immo

I tried to install those with yay and I am getting a similar error:

Run-time dependency budgie-1.0 found: NO (tried pkgconfig)

vala-panel-appmenu/meson.build:81:0: ERROR: Dependency "budgie-1.0" not found, tried pkgconfig

A full log can be found at /home/ishaan/.cache/yay/vala-panel-appmenu/src/build/meson-logs/meson-log.txt
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
 -> error making: vala-panel-appmenu (vala-panel-appmenu-common vala-panel-appmenu-xfce)

Check the latest comment regarding this issue of the AUR page for vala-panel-appmenu-xfce and vala-panel-appmenu-common. You might have to wait till the issue gets fixed.

1 Like

This is a splitted pkgbuild, which pkgbase is vala-panel-appmenu , since you want xfce grab the pkgbuild and disable mate and budgie

_disable_mate=true
_disable_xfce=false
_disable_vala=false
_disable_budgie=true

I don’t know if you need or use vala-panel-appmenu-valapanel, if not you can _disable_vala=true

At the moment the budgie stuff don’t build anyway

1 Like

This set me into the right direction.
I’m a newbie regarding Linux, So it took me a while to figure this out. I’ll backtrace my steps for anyone who might need this later on, including myself:

• Created a new folder with a textfile named “PKGBUILD”
  • copied the content of the PKGBUILD from the vala-panel-appmenu-common-git package into the newly created file
  • edited the lines to

_disable_mate=1
_disable_xfce=0
_disable_vala=1
_disable_budgie=1

• switched to the command line, changed directory into the newly created folder with the PKGBUILD file
  • makepkg
  • makepkg --install
  • Enter admin password upon request

For the appmenu to work, I also had to install vala-panel-appmenu-registrar-git, gobject-introspection and appmenu-gtk-module – but those can also be installed via pamac. No additional configuration needed.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the solution!

You can grab every pkgbuilds (even deleted ones) with for example:

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/vala-panel-appmenu.git

This will include all the git history and additional files (if any) uploaded on the AUR

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.