Using Multi Monitors with Nvidia & integrated graphics

Hello,
I’m a first time Linux user, so I’m a little lost on how to solve this issue. Essentially, I’m using Manjaro KDE, whatever the latest stable version is, I have a monitor attached to my Nvidia GPU and 2 more attached to my motherboard.
When I switch Desktop Session to X11, I get my main monitor used, and if I use Wayland, only my 2 motherboard monitors are used (main just shows a line of text?). I’d like to use all three of I can.
For drivers I have video-nvidia and video-linux.
Thanks for the help!

Hello @naginipython and welcome :wink:

The problem here is the nvidia driver. I explained it here:

So the iGPU should be AMD or INTEL which have both open source drivers. If you really need the nvidia driver up and running, then you have to deal with reverse-prime configuration.

That means: nvidia will be main and throw the screen to the iGPU output. It looks like this here:

Otherwise, remove the nvidia driver and use the open source nouveau driver (which is included in video-linux).

That makes sense, I’ll get rid of the nvidia drivers in that case. How good is open sourced drivers for gaming? Should I try to look into that “reverse-prime configuration?” (I apologize, some of this goes over my head. iGPU?)

Hmm, actually, now I have a new issue. The all 3 monitors work, except, the side 2 have no desktop. This seems to be a common problem, but the main solution of going to the ‘/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/’ folder and editing ‘10-monitor.conf’ (I had to create the conf file, didn’t exist prior?). This is what I’ve written:
Section “Monitor”
Identifier “DP-2”
Option “Primary” “true”
EndSection

Section “Monitor”
Identifier “VGA-1-1”
Option “LeftOf” “DP-2”
EndSection

Section “Monitor”
Identifier “HDMI-1-1”
Option “LeftOf” “VGA-1-1”
EndSection
I’ve confirmed that the 3 Identifiers are connected.

Sorry, ignore the new issue. I read too much into it but it seems I just needed to set a desktop image and set a taskbar, lol. Not used to it not being done automatically. If you help me with driver knowledge, that’d be much appreciated. I tried playing Doom: Eternal, and it seems like I cannot play it without nvidia drivers. I also tried Portal, and there is a notable difference in playing with video-nvidia vs playing with video-linux. Is there any way to switch, without restarting my pc? Or is that “reverse-prime configuration” do the trick?

Ah well gaming. Then you need the nvidia driver, because the nouveau driver have just basic power management (thanks to nvidia). That means it will not clock up and stay on base clock.

The driver? Yes…

cd /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
sudo mv 21-radeon.conf 21-radeon.conf.old
sudo systemctl restart display-manager.service

Keep in mind: It will restart the whole desktop environment. That is possible because nvidia must be explicitly called in the xorg confs to work. If not called then the open source driver will take place.

Yes, if gaming is a thing then you have to configure it like that:

To be clear: It is an example and you have to adjust it to your system.

Mhm, I see. It’s very similar to what I did in 10-monitor.conf. I don’t quite understand what it means to some extent, but I bet I can find more examples and information online. That said, I think I solved the problem? I was really messing with my system, with that conf file, some other things I’ve since forgotten about, then I watched a dude’s video on Optimus-Manager? There was a slight issue where I didn’t have nvidia installed prior to the video, which made it difficult to get my nvidia files back, but… I deleted Optimus-Manager from my Add/Remove Software, rebooted, and suddenly it all works? I’m aware Optimus-Manager still probably has files on my system, but I can launch Doom Eternal, I can play Portal at a satisfying framerate, and I can see my other 2 monitors. So… idk what I did, but it’s working, and unless I hear a comment suggesting I’m somehow breaking my computer, I’m not going to worry about knowing what I did. Thanks for your help!