USB not connecting to Ubuntu VM

I am running a Ubuntu virtual Machine on a Manhjaro OS host system.

I cannot connect a USB device to my virtual machine. I have already downloaded the extension pack for Virtualbox.

The Arch wiki might help: 1.4: the user group …
Don’t know whether there is a wiki for Manjaro as well - as the handling of the kernel modules is a bit different.

1 Like

The extension pack installed must be the same version as the Virtualbox version installed. The current version in the official Manjaro repository is 7.0.20. Double check that.

Also check the USB configuration in Virtualbox - perhaps try setting USB2 instead of 3.1 (USB 3.1 might still be experimental in VBox).

Cheers.

1 Like

I downloaded Virtualbox from the GUI. Are there packages that won’t be included?

Yes.
The extension pack, for instance.
It is not strictly necessary - USB, for instance, will work without it
but only as very slow USB 1 - not USB 2.0 or even USB 3

and:
this doesn’t just work out of the box - some things need to be configured
one important one is:
you need to allow your user by adding it to the group …
see my previous post

1 Like

As long as the extension pack is the same version as Virtualbox, it should be fine.

Regarding the issue at hand, the information needed may be found at the link given to you previously by @Nachlese :

You should visit the site, read the information, and apply whatever you learn.

Good luck.

I have joined the user group and USB is recognised.

However, I seem to be having issues with mounting the drive

The USB appears to have file system damage. You will need to repair that before doing much else. If the file system is NTFS or EXFAT or FAT32 you should only repair it within a Windows environment using chkdsk from an administrative commant prompt.

This article will give information that should help:

…or…

If you already have a Windows Virtual Machine, you should be able to perform the repair operations from within that.

Again, please don’t post screenshots when a brief description will do instead. I can almost guarantee a Moderator will come along and simply delete them, regardless.

From what I remember of the GUI of VirtualBox
(I don’t use it anymore - and have not for at least two years)
there is an option to forward either a single USB device (which must be connected at the time)
or to forward an entire USB port (to which the device must connected) to the VM.

I don’t remember whether one could do that setup/configuration from within the already running VM.
I think not - I used to do it through the GUI before the VM was started.

You’ll need to describe what you did - and please don’t post screenshots here.
Upload them to some image sharing site and post the link (which you’ll get back after upload) to it here.

https://0x0.st/

for example

Here with Virtualbox, I have to be real fast , before the host OS mounts the USB drive. So quickly in the VB dropdown-Devices and check off the just inserted USB drive.

I have a list of USBs listed on the ‘devices’ pull down menu including ‘Chicony Electronics HD user facing’ which I have selected in the menu.

However, the camera does not function using Cheese and Camera apps. The device is recognised in shaded text.

Okay. Mine is just a basic USB device formatted for data storage. I apologize, I didn’t fully understand the issue.

but that is not the same as the previous Samsung device

for what it’s worth:
I just tried with virt-manager (not VirtualBox)

and it works

Summary
lsusb 
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:07da Intel Corp. Centrino Bluetooth Wireless Transceiver
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0489:d600 Foxconn / Hon Hai USB2.0 Camera
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c542 Logitech, Inc. Wireless Receiver
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I shared/rerouted the:
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0489:d600 Foxconn / Hon Hai USB2.0 Camera

and Cheese (in the VM) picked it up immediately - it worked.

@KnowingMe145889

Are you now ignoring this and the information given to help fix it?
You haven’t acknowledged it so it’s difficult to know your intention.

Do I need to reformat the drive within a Windows environment?

No - not reformat.
That would result in loss of all the data on it.

Repair is enough.
Use the Windows tool to check the file system and have it fix any errors.

I’m not familiar with Windows, I believe the command line tool for this is called chkdsk

You are best advised to repair the drive first – if it’s only file system damage, then chkdsk /f x: will likely fix it – if the damage is deeper, you will need to use chkdsk with the option to check for bad sectors.

An NTFS file system should only be repaired in a Windows environment, using chkdsk. The link I gave earlier will provide the information needed; you only need to read and understand it.

Depending on the actual damage, formatting the drive may (or may not) be overly beneficial; however, you can choose to do that with Windows or GParted (in Linux). I’d personally avoid using the default partitioner of Manjaro.

At this point, we don’t know what the file system is on your USB. We can only guess, as you haven’t given any useful information.

If it is EXFAT or FAT32 then using chkdsk will only perform a superficial repair; and the likelihood is high that data is already lost.

It might be helpful to provide some system information:

inxi --admin --verbosity=8 --filter --no-host --width

…and perhaps use lsblk to verify the file system in use.