USB ethernet adapter hangs system... reliably :-(

Similar OpenSUSE Bug 1083866 which was closed due to linking to firmware. Suggested fix is "in powertop, switching “Autosuspend for USB device USB 10/100/1000 LAN [Realtek]” from the default “GOOD” to “BAD”. Equivalent of “echo ‘on’ > ‘/sys/bus/usb/devices/4-1.4/power/control’” - going to try this and will report back .

This made no difference.

Similar Kernel Bug 200977 which Comment 28 suggests setting usbcore.autosuspend=-1 pci_aspm=off kernel params. Also not tried until I get results from the above

This solved the problem. I’ve not seen the hang for the last few days since adding those kernel params and rebooting.

I have reported the scenario and workaround to Realtek linux nic maintainers <nic_swsd@realtek.com> listed in r8152.c « usb « net « drivers - kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree and also to the linux-usb mailing list: 'RTL8153 1G USB ethernet kernel hang bug' - MARC

1 Like

I have marked @Wollie’s answer as the solution for this thread. At least for me blacklisting USB suspend for the ethernet adapter solves the hangs on my laptop.

Thanks to @samo_dadela and @davidmytton for jumping in. I hope David’s report helps solve this issue in the long run!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.