Upgrading Secure Boot dbx Config UEFI BIOS with Manjaro package manager

As you can see in the above screenshot of pamac, it is showing a Device Firmware update is ready to install. Looks pretty easy and convenient. But I am ewary and cautious about updating my mother board firmware because a botched installation could result in bricking my machine and even perhaps requiring the somewhat costly intervention of a PC repair shop to replace the mother board. So I figure it would be safer to leave the current default UEFI firmware in place. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” is what I am thinking.

What do you people think about that assessment?

If it’s OK to keep default firmware in place, how do I tell pamac and AUR and yay to filter out Secure Boot package update notifications?

It doesn’t look like pamac. It looks more like Gnome Software. It would also make sense, since Gnome Software supports firmware updates with fwupd.

2 Likes

Hi @xabbu: Thank you for clarifying. It’s Gnome Software. Not pacman.

How about making an attempt at answering my initial question:

Is it OK to leave the current default UEFI firmware in place and prevent automatic firmware updates? What do you think of the approach: “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” with regards to software updates for my new motherboard?

Yes why not. There are also no “automatic” firmware updates. If you don’t like fwupd, you should not use it. For gnome-software , fwupd is just a optional dependency. You can try to remove the fwupd package.

I do firmware updates. But it is your system, do whatever you want.