Upgrading Laptop to AX210 wifi card - any issues

My HP SPectre x360 has an intel AC7265 (old!) card.

I want/need to replace it and am looking at the AX210 card.

Before I purchase and install - any concerns/issues with how Manjaro will recognize that card?

(I do see a number of topics/issues on this card but didn’t see any that directly addressed this)

Just don’t use a linux kernel older than version 5.12: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX210/AX211/AX411 160MHz

???

On my machine, I have difficulty connecting to my home’s 2.4GHz, but 5GHz is perfect. There could be a problem with my router, since it has to serve a lot of IoT smart home devices, where most if not all only understands 2.4GHz, while 5GHz is limited only to my laptop, tablet and smartphone. Too lazy to test my own theory, since I use my laptop as a desktop replacement and I do want to use 5GHz anyway, so it’s fine for me. Do note that even my backup kernel is 6.1, while my main is 6.7. I don’t test with older kernels.

None at all. It will work out of the box with the kernel iwlwifi driver. As mentioned above, use at least the 5.15 LTS kernel for support.

I replaced the original Qualcomm QCA9377 on my travel laptop with the AX210. The original always had some weird issue, then it was fine, then it suddenly it was only pulling down ~ 20 Mbps. I bought the AX210 and now it can pull down almost 1 Gbps.

Sounds great thanks

Thanks for the great feedback - I have gone ahead with my order for the AX210.

Any tips on installing those little antenna connectors would be welcome… After removing the old card and trying to reinstall… Those clips were very challenging to attach…

The clips are very small and I’m clumsy, so I understand. Maybe search online and find a video of someone doing it.

Use a tweezer if your fingers are gigantic. Mine are fortunately tiny, I can (de|at)tach directly easily. There will be a tiny click, so you can be sure it’s been attached correctly.

Card is installed but I can only get the MAIN antenna wire connected. The Aux may be damaged - or just stubborn. my throughput is very low which I assume is related to the antenna connection? But wanted to check if there may be any issues with the card?

This is what the card looks like:

02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6E(802.11ax) AX210/AX1675* 2x2 [Typhoon Peak] (rev 1a)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX210 160MHz
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
Memory at df000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities:
Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
Kernel modules: iwlwif

Seems to be working a bit better… speed is better and not abysmal… better than I had with the old card. Still guessing having only the main antenna wire attached could be impacting speed a bit… but all in all things seem ok.

Looks like it took running for a bit to get the speed normalized.

Both antenna wires must be connected. They both clip on the same way.

Unfortunately the ‘aux’ wire appears to be damaged… not sure how…

I will keep trying to connect it - but already have hour(s) into this…

So why is it working at all with just the MAIN wire attached?

It seems we’re at an impasse. We can neither help you with clumsy fingers (like mine :laughing:) nor do your research for you.

The whole wealth of human knowledge is available at your fingertips–utilize it. :open_book:

By the way, I had to go to the library to read books before Al Gore invented the internet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Please accept my apology - I wasn’t meaning to be unappreciative of the help I have received.

Too much ‘thinking out loud’ on my end…

This is an older laptop and I’m just wondering what is going on with those antenna wires and how that works with just the main one connected… (likely it just isn’t working as well as it should - if at all?)

I will keep trying…

I do that all the time… No worries. :wink:

From software POV: Nope.

Because it’s an AUXiliary antenna, i.e.: its job is to boost or help the main one, while the main one alone can still work without it, albeit at downgraded performance. Could be the range, the throughput, the signal strength even interference. For a card with bluetooth combo, it may break the bluetooth functionality completely as the card won’t be able to maintain the connection without the AUX antenna help, can only turn on and search, but never connect.

This makes sense… I will continue working on that aux connection… !