Upgrades in Manjaro are not as smooth as easy as they was before

In the last months I found that upgrades in manjaro are not so smooth and easy as they was before.
More and more I need to go deep into the dependencies to figure out, why upgrades not work at least.

How can that be, what might the reason?

Isn’t it possible to add something like “update first all stuff, that don’t have any dependency-issues” and afterwards have a look at those packages that can’t be upgraded?

Or adding a flag like “auto-install & auto-accept needed dependencies”

All packages have already dependencies set, optional dependencies are still for you to check.
If an updated package will have a new package dependency, then that new package will be installed automatically during the update process.

If by chance you are set with an out of sync mirror, then you can end up with a partial update, and that is not supported, and can lead to a funky system, not booting.
Everything you mentioned is already available.
pamac --help

1 Like

The issue are more like … mongodb needs openssh-1.1 but it isn’t available at all.
If I un-check mongodb, to have a look at it later on, I got the next issue… some package crash with python2… so I do search for python 2 and deactivate them all for the current upgrade… with try and error… means - deactivate something, check if that cause other dependencies issues and go over and over again this workflow.

If those are solved, I run in the next issue like 'libc++utilities.so=5-64' needed by qtutilities
if “libc++…” is needed, why don’t will it be suggested to install by a dialog (or installed automatically) in this case?

It’s very time consuming and wasn’t the case only once in a while in the last years. But for the last updates, I do have those issues nearly all the time.

…to much AUR and third party stuff (that should be rebuild from time to time), third party repos, …

Note: python2 is deprecated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the links, I’ll have a look at them.

I know, but wouldn’t it be awesome, if Manjaro could detect and note about such stuff?
Maybe like :

• Pyton2 is deprecated
  • it is used by the following packages: xxx. yyy
  • do you like to remove it?

…this was all done long ago in the update announcements, if you would only read them !

3 Likes

AUR package.

Please make a habit to read the announcements. User intervention sometimes is required and the reason is posted like this:

2 Likes

Ok, where can I find them? Does they are anywhere in the Pamac-Gui? (Would be a good place to see important announcement about upgrades)

And what do you mean on “this was all done long ago”? Do you mean the python2 deprecation note that bogdancovaciu below, or something else? Will be thankfully if you can point me to those information.

Double fits tighter:

…if you wake up the dead, they become zombies…

1 Like

Thanks banjo,

is there also a build-in tool that might announce me about such important Manjaro-News right at the desktop.

Maybe it also would be a good Idea to add something like a “News-Tab” to the “Updater”-Software to have it right in place if a user is willing to upgrade.
So you are remembered to have a look at “Changelog, Breaking Changes and Important Notes”.
I think such an pro-active information-center right in the updater… would manjaro make stand out of the other linux distributions.

matray is just for that purpose.
It is pre-installed in Manjaro now-a-days

Hi rethus,

Just a suggestion … you could build an unstable or testing image to help participate in finally bring out a stable release. The manjaro team posts frequently updates if users could help testing for them.
Not helping only yourself but also the community :wink:

Your upgrade experience is drectly connected to how much customisation and custom packages you have applied to your system.

You should also be aware that Plasma and Gnome are more vulnerable - more correctly sensitive - to customisations than other environments.

The environments depends on a very narrow set of upstream changes which makes even small variations cause instabilities.

The recommended approach is

• always remove your customisations and custom packages
  • sync the new system
  • reapply your customisation
  • this will reveal which customisation is responsible for your issue(s).
2 Likes

If you have many AUR packages active this might happen as we delay our packages longer due to issues with Plasma and Gnome. Currently we are working hard to get Gnome 43 stable…

1 Like