Upgrade using pamac causes "GPGME error: No data"

Hi, I recently tried to upgrade my system using pamac and I got a couple of errors and warnings resulting in the following symptom:

[ludo@garuda ~]$ sudo pacman -Syvv manjaro-keyring
[sudo] password for ludo: 
error: GPGME error: No data
error: GPGME error: No data
error: GPGME error: No data
error: GPGME error: No data
Root      : /
Conf File : /etc/pacman.conf
DB Path   : /var/lib/pacman/
Cache Dirs: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/  
Hook Dirs : /usr/share/libalpm/hooks/  /etc/pacman.d/hooks/  
Lock File : /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
Log File  : /var/log/pacman.log
GPG Dir   : /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/
Targets   : manjaro-keyring
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                              169,4 KiB   822 KiB/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
 extra                            1915,2 KiB  1553 KiB/s 00:01 [##################################] 100%
 community                           6,8 MiB  2005 KiB/s 00:03 [##################################] 100%
 multilib                          175,5 KiB  1097 KiB/s 00:00 [##################################] 100%
error: GPGME error: No data
error: GPGME error: No data
error: GPGME error: No data
error: GPGME error: No data
error: failed to synchronize all databases (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

From the parabola wiki (Pacman troubleshooting), it seems like there is a problem with some downloaded packages.

(Note: sorry I’ve got a couple of links to show some solutions/information I found on the web but I’m not allowed to publish links :-/ )

I tried to apply the usual solution concerning keyring problems (see Olli’s post in “Update: Error while configuring manjaro-keyring” [Manjaro forum]) but it did not work.

I finally fix the problem by cleaning the folder “/var/lib/pacman/sync/” (I removed the pamac files “.files" & ".db.*” (inspired by answer#2 in “[SOLVED] Error updating system (error: GPGME error: No data)” [Arch forum]).

Yet, I’m not satisfied by the solution as 1) I’m not really sure what happens, 2) each time I try to upgrade using pamac (terminal or GUI), I’ve got the same problem again (even if I try to upgrade a single program through the GUI, whatever it can be: zoom, awaita-qt, android-emulator…).

So, what should I do to find the origin of and solve the problem?

  • can it be a pamac problem?
  • can it be a contributor untrusted key or a corrupted package from the AUR that trigger the whole problem (even if I don’t ask to upgrade it)? If so, How can I detect it (maybe I can just uninstall it and problem solve?).

Any help would be welcome :slight_smile:

The first section will help you solve the issue:

If you want even more background - you can find more than 20 linked topics dealing with the exact issue. Probably more if you search for the message

1 Like

Hi @lduvaux, and welcome!

See

1 Like

Thanks for your help @ishaanbhimwal , it fixed my problem!
Sorry for my bad research, I indeed googled error: GPGME error: No data but it pointed toward pages that was close to the topics but not really helping like https://forum.manjaro.org/t/error-gpgme-error-no-data-when-im-trying-to-update/77339. Moreover, I was not sure which error message was the most important and I also googled error: failed to synchronize all databases (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature)) so that I got lost in my google researches and the different suggestions I tested :-/
Your link toward the tuto really helped me!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.