Updating paru 2.0.3-1 not possible due to libalpm.so mismatch

I use paru as a package manager on my system (Manjaro i3). The latest version is paru 2.0.3-1, but it requires an updated libalpm.so (specifically libalpm.so>=14-64). The only way to obtain this to my knowledge is by updating pacman itself, which is indeed behind on my system (it is v6.0.2, while the latest is 6.1.0-3). When I try to update pacman by downloading the tar-ball from the AUR and installing it manually, I get the dependency conflict that libpamac requires libalpm.so=13-64.

Is there anything I can do about this at the moment, or should I just wait for pacman to updated in the Manjaro channels and then in due time try to install the latest version of paru? Thanks for any advice!

1 Like

If you have to ask you shouldn’t be using AUR at all. This is what you get with using it on stable branch. Anyway, downgrade it or as you say, wait.

Well…you withheld updates on a rolling release which made your system unsupported. You are on a stable branch and using aur which is generally also a bad idea. And why do you want to update pacman from the aur and not the repos…also not a very good idea.

So maybe do the things the normal way. Sync and update the core system from the repos withouth aur first.

The newest version of Pacman is available through the unstable branch, you can see how to change to it here: Switching Branches - Manjaro

Just beware that there may be other issues becase that branch is not as tested.

1 Like

Just to be clear: on what branch are you now? Your profile says stable. Obviously, if you try to force the version from unstable on stable, this is a recipe for disaster.
It is more or less like that: if you are a novice and on stable, you should not even try to do this sh… thing. Because you do not completely understand how the rolling release works.

If you are on unstable and working with aur and an experienced user…you should not be asking such a question and already know holding updates is unsupported and that you should keep it up to date (is not that the whole point of unstable?).

So not to be be unpolite, but the whole question is kind of strange.

p.s. the solution should be obvious: update. If there is a problem - refresh mirrors, use pacman-static, use chroot, etc.
sudo pacman -Syuu

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Yes. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for your swift replies, everyone!

I am quite experienced with the OS (have been using Manjaro i3 for about 4 years on all my devices now), but I slipped up. I am on the stable branch and indeed use AUR for some packages that also are in the Manjaro repos (and I now realize that is a bad combination). I will switch back to not using the AUR for a while and ensure that I just use the repo packages if they are there.

Thanks again, and apologies for the somewhat dumb question.

Nothing wrong with using the AUR as long as you understand AUR is for Arch, not Manjaro, so you better be on the Unstable Manjaro branch to use AUR if you want no issue with it (as Manjaro unstable is kinda like Arch regarding packages version).

3 Likes

Would someone be able to explain to me what this has to do with the AUR? Wouldn’t the OP still have this problem even if they didn’t use a single AUR package but installed paru from source by cloning the paru git repo directly? Or is it because paru falls under the ‘AUR’ category regardless?

Does this mean neither paru nor yay nor using any AUR packages are officially supported by stable Manjaro? If yes, then why?

This type of issue makes me question Manjaro’s value proposition

Paru is an AUR package. Technically Yay also is, however Manjaro includes Yay in the repos.

AUR packages are up to the user to manage while Manjaro repo packages are maintained by Package Maintainers like myself.

Note there is a different version of Yay in the Manjaro unstable branch than the testing and stable branch to mach the version of Pacman (provides libalpm.so).

With Paru, 2.0.1 should still be used with the Manjaro testing and stable branches with Pacman 6.0.2 while 2.0.3 should be used with the unstable branch with Pacman 6.1.0.

:information_source: Keep in mind the AUR is neither officially supported by Arch nor Manjaro.

Pacman, pamac, octopi, yay are in the repos. Paru is not. It is in AUR or Git.
Everything that is in the repos is supposed to move together as version of the dependencies. Everything that is not - you are on your own to solve dependency conflicts without breaking the system (as a rule of thumb - is the git or aur is not updated to match the dependencies - use flatpak, or snap, or appimage).
This is how a rolling release works.

In other words: imagine you have apple tree and pear tree in your garden. To eat apples, you have to climb the apple tree. Then you can have all the apples you want, but you cannot reach the pears. You have to climb down the apple and climb up the pear, and then you can have all the pears you want, but you cannot reach the apples anymore. That is, unless you cut a branch of the apple tree, put it in a backpack (flatpak) on your back and climb with it on the pear. That way you can have both, although not very convenient solution.

In some other gardens there are in fact trees, that produce different fruits on each different branch, they are however, very old and so sweet anymore.

1 Like

AUR packages are generally kept up to date with Arch packages (dependency reasons). Manjaro Stable is usually a few steps behind Arch. Therefore, AUR packages may be ahead of Manjaro stable.

if you are on Stable and use a few things from AUR, don’t update AUR packages together with your normal system. For instance, use pacman from the terminal to first update your normal system.

Then check pamac to see which AUR packages are listed as updateable. Or use the appropriate AUR helper’s terminal command.

I use yay because it’s in Manjaro’s own repos [ie, a version compatible with Manjaro Stable]. Command =

yay -Qu

If the listed programs built from AUR still work, don’t update them.

[Caveat - though you should perhaps make an exception for AUR browsers or any network-accessing program, to obtain security updates]

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.