Updating Manjaro doesn't work - nvidia 440 450

Hello,

I’m new to manjaro, coming from Debian.
I have (again) problems with updating my systems. Since some time, it’s not possible for me anymore to use the graphical updater. It really always gives me another problem, why updating is not possible this time. And it works the way if one package is not able to update, then nothing is updated.

Error Message in the Graphical Updater:

In Konflikt stehende Abhängigkeiten:
nvidia-450xx-utils und nvidia-440xx-utils stehen im Konflikt zueinander

After clicking on “Close” the second error message:

Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen:
nicht vorhandene Abhängigkeit ‘nvidia-440xx-utils=440.100’ benötigt von linux54-nvidia-440xx

and in the terminal with answering the question with “j” (yes):

sudo pacman -Syyu
[sudo] Passwort für wolf:
:: Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken…
core 169,9 KiB 4,48 MiB/s 00:00 [###################################################################################] 100%
extra 2016,3 KiB 9,24 MiB/s 00:00 [###################################################################################] 100%
community 6,1 MiB 8,99 MiB/s 00:01 [###################################################################################] 100%
multilib 194,6 KiB 9,50 MiB/s 00:00 [###################################################################################] 100%
:: Starte vollständige Systemaktualisierung…
Löse Abhängigkeiten auf…
Suche nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen…
:: nvidia-450xx-utils und nvidia-440xx-utils stehen miteinander in Konflikt (nvidia-libgl). nvidia-440xx-utils entfernen? [j/N] j
Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen)
:: Unerfüllbare Abhängigkeit ‘nvidia-440xx-utils=440.100’, benötigt von linux54-nvidia-440xx
:: Entfernen von nvidia-440xx-utils verletzt Abhängigkeit ‘nvidia-440xx-utils’, benötigt von lib32-nvidia-440xx-utils

and in the terminal when answering the question with “N” (no):

sudo pacman -Syyu
:: Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken…
core 169,9 KiB 4,88 MiB/s 00:00 [###################################################################################] 100%
extra 2016,3 KiB 9,07 MiB/s 00:00 [###################################################################################] 100%
community 6,1 MiB 9,03 MiB/s 00:01 [###################################################################################] 100%
multilib 194,6 KiB 9,50 MiB/s 00:00 [###################################################################################] 100%
:: Starte vollständige Systemaktualisierung…
Löse Abhängigkeiten auf…
Suche nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen…
:: nvidia-450xx-utils und nvidia-440xx-utils stehen miteinander in Konflikt (nvidia-libgl). nvidia-440xx-utils entfernen? [j/N] N
Fehler: Nicht auflösbare Paketkonflikte gefunden
Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (In Konflikt stehende Abhängigkeiten)
:: nvidia-450xx-utils und nvidia-440xx-utils stehen miteinander in Konflikt

So it does not matter how to answer the question, it’s always the same error. So what is the magic trick this time? :smiley: My expectation would have been that the updater would replace the package nvidia-440x with the package nvidia-450xx … ?? But that does not happen, no matter what my answer is on the question.

Hello,

Have a look here:

1 Like

Thanks for the link. So would this be the solution for me?

$ sudo pacman -R linux-latest-nvidia-440xx-utils
$ sudo mhwd -i pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-utils

And than reboot? I don’t want to risk, that the system doesn’t start anymore, I need it for work.

So use a snapshot or backup or have a bootable usb at the ready to repair in case of problems.

Okay … so now the graphic interface isn’t starting anymore after booting … I can still login on the terminal, so no problem. But I don’t know what to check next. To be hones I know nothing about grahpic drivers. In Xubuntu I never faced such problems, so I never had to care about graphic drivers. I think that will change know with Manjaro :smiley:

Any hint where to start first figuring out what problem Manjaro has?
/€dit: Reinstall again via terminal solved the problem

Xubuntu ≠ Debian :smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.