Updating dkms nvidia drivers is broken with kernel 5.9

For a while now I have been running Manjaro with vfio patched kernel along with dkms nvidia drivers, and all is running well and most importantly updating without a hitch.

Currently running:
5.8.13-arch1-1-vfio (uname -a)
nvidia, 440.100, 5.8.13-arch1-1-vfio, x86_64: installed (dkms status)
nvidia-440xx-dkms 440.100-1 (pacman -Q)

However, updating dkms nvidia drivers is broken with kernel 5.9 (latest update batch). Here’s the failure in the logs:

Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install --no-depmod -m nvidia -v 440.100 -k 5.9.6-arch1-1-vfio
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.9.6-arch1-1-vfio (x86_64)
Error while configuring
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.100/build/make.log for more information.

Everything before that (all 398 packages) including skype and custom kernel gets built and updated properly. It’s only this last step in which the update fails.
Once again, all previous updates have been done without issues (ever since Manjaro 20.0 with kernel 5.6).
All packages have come from official repos and/or AUR. Nothing was built/compiled manually.

I’ve saved the install log and the nvidia make.log if it is useful for someone, and have restored the system to a state before the update took place (with a combination of disk dump and timeshift).

• Should I provide these logs to someone somewhere?

Having tried the update twice and failing in the same way I am asking here for help.

• Is this something I can fix somewhere, or is it (apparently) Nvidia’s fault?
    I’ve found info saying that update to 5.9 is to be delayed: forums DOT developer DOT nvidia DOT com/t/nvidia-driver-not-yet-supported-for-linux-kernel-5-9/157263

• Should I just wait it out and update in the next batch?

There is one thread on the forum in which the advice is to install nvidia-beta-dkms - and I think it will just make my life harder down the road.

I’d really like to have the hassle free update experience I’ve had so far, and I can not lose the ability acs patched kernel provides.

Any words of advice?

Yes, use the provided Manjaro kernels and modules. :wink:

I know, I know - but really - what can I do here?