Updated Kernel - lost KDE desktop - no access to local files (?)

I’ve been running 5.9 and did a system update. Got a message to update the kernel - so I updated to 5.15. (During installation a note said that there might be missing modules.) Machine boots and I have the login screen. After it completes login, I have a black screen with the Manjaro "welcome’ box (which has buttons on it to go to online websites).

I click on ‘twitter’ and it opens as normal in Firefox and everything seems hunky-dory. Firefox menu is active and I can go to all of the web pages as usual. There’s just no desktop environment so no way to see files or applications. I believe they are all there - just not visible.

I can hit F12 and bring up Yakua shell to do some rudimentary commands - problem is that I don’t speak the bash language very well or much at all.

I found some scripts that others had used and pasted them into the shell and installed kernel 5.10 since the 5.15 kernel said there might be missing modules. But 5.10 does the same thing so I reverted back to 5.9 as I’d originally used but it is broken as well - no KDE desktop.

Everything seems to be there and working normally except I have no way to see any of it. (suggestions? I reiterate - I don’t speak bash and can only copy & paste scripts provided by others)

:rofl: Sorry, but it feels like people are trolling Manjaro forum.

Kernel 5.9 is dead for nearly 2 years. Why are you using rolling distro, if you can’t update kernel in 2 years?

Show commands and whole output with errors and everything.

1 Like

Your comment is the first mention that I have heard that 5.9 is ‘dead.’ It has worked flawlessly and I had no particular reason to seek out solutions to a problem that didn’t exist. Okay - anyway I also have 5.10 and 5.15 installed. Now, if I can just get KDE displayed again, I’m hoping all will be cooking. (I’m not a computerist because I don’t have time to keep up with it and only use the computer for other pursuits.)

As @zbe said, kernel 5.9 has been EOL for ages.

But what you’re experiencing is that the recent Plasma desktop now requires OpenGL, and you are obviously someone with an Nvidia graphics adapter, because the free nouveau driver does not support OpenGL, and thus you need the proprietary Nvidia driver for that. And given that you’ve upgraded your kernel to 5.15, you need a driver for that kernel.

5.9 was not an LTS kernel. It was replaced by 5.10 and is no longer supported. 5.10 and 5.15 are LTS kernels, so they will still be supported for years.

Oh, okay. That sounds very logical. I couldn’t imagine what could be wrong. It’s great to talk to someone who has expertise! I appreciate you. So if’n you was me - would you get a new video card or seek out buying drivers for the present one?

No need to buy drivers — they are proprietary, but free of charge, and you can install them from the repository by way of the Manjaro Settings Manager. :wink:

That said, I always advise people to buy AMD graphics cards now, because their drivers are supplied in the kernel.

1 Like

Oh, good. But one problem - I can’t access the settings manager or any other application, having no desktop environment. It would seem that the only option I have is to do it on the shell using code. Uh-Oh… I’m in trouble. I don’t know how to code.

The Mrs. is summoning me - need to be AFK and will get back to this dilemma soon as possible. Thanks for the assistance. I appreciate you muchly!
Dax

This will install the latest Nvidia drivers for your current kernel, provided that your adapter is still supported. :arrow_down:

sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia
1 Like

I guess that I’ll need to work on this tomorrow…

sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia                                                                                                                                    ✔ 
Warning: no matching device for config 'video-nvidia' found!
> Installing video-nvidia...
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core downloading...
 extra downloading...
 community downloading...
 multilib downloading...
error: target not found: linux59-nvidia
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

Have to jump off kernel 5.9 first (onto 5.15), and then try again.

1 Like

The machine is booted up on 5.15. (???) I’m at a loss for words. There is probably a way to change the ‘target’ but I don’t have the foggiest.

Dax

Remove the non existent kernel, then it will work.

Okay… I found a script that Alexzee used in a different situation to remove an unused kernel:

ms7845 ~]$ sudo pacman -R linux58

Can I use this code / syntax to remove 5.9 by replacing "-R linux58 ???

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-do-i-remove-the-kernel-that-i-don-t-want-to-use/32821/2

Oh, what the heck… Columbus took a chance. What’s the worst that could happen?

sudo pacman -R linux59                                                                                                                                 1 ✘  11s  
[sudo] password for dax: 
checking dependencies...

Packages (1) linux59-5.9.16-1

Total Removed Size:  154.96 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Running pre-transaction hooks...
(1/1) Removing linux initcpios...
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing linux59                                                                                    [###############################################################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/3) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/3) Updating module dependencies...
(3/3) Updating Grub-Bootmenu
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/manjaro/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64.img
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.10-x86_64-fallback.img
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

Testing to see what I’ve done - be back later - Dax

Well, that seemed to go alright…

==> Generating module dependencies                                                                                                                                               
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img                                                                                            
==> Image generation successful                                                                                                                                                  
(7/7) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...                                                                                                                               
nvidia-utils: install reason has been set to 'explicitly installed'                                                                                                              
libxnvctrl: install reason has been set to 'explicitly installed'                                                                                                                
lib32-nvidia-utils: install reason has been set to 'explicitly installed'                                                                                                        
linux515-nvidia: install reason has been set to 'explicitly installed'                                                                                                           
xorg configuration file: '/etc/X11/mhwd.d/nvidia.conf'                                                                                                                           
> Successfully installed video-nvidia
1 Like

for any remove kernel on manjaro use

sudo mhwd-kernel -r linuxNM

can you check

pacman -Qs linux59-