Update runs into conflicts

When I was notified of the new updates available, I launched sudo pacman -Syyu.

It led to the following questions. I selected the default answers everytime:

:: Replace lib32-nvidia-440xx-utils with multilib/lib32-nvidia-utils? [Y/n] 
:: Replace linux54-nvidia-440xx with extra/linux54-nvidia? [Y/n] 
:: Replace linux58 with community/linux-latest? [Y/n] 
:: Replace linux58-virtualbox-host-modules with community/linux-latest-virtualbox-host-modules? [Y/n] 
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: nvidia-utils and nvidia-440xx-utils are in conflict (nvidia-libgl). Remove nvidia-440xx-utils? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: nvidia-utils and nvidia-440xx-utils are in conflict

And then the upgrade failed.

Graphics section of the output of inxi -Fxxxz reads:

Graphics:  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics vendor: Gigabyte driver: i915 
           v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 chip ID: 8086:0412 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti] vendor: ZOTAC driver: nvidia v: 440.100 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:11c6 
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.9 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: intel,nouveau 
           alternate: fbdev,nv,vesa resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 650 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.100 direct render: Yes 

What is happening here? How do I get things moving?

Linux kernel 5.8 has been dropped and so has nvidia 440 driver’s. Is your card supported by the 455 driver’s? You may have to manually remove the 440 driver’s to update

@sawdoctor I am a complete newbie here. I have updated the question with the output of Graphics section of inxi -Fxxxz command. Will you please tell me what specifically do I need to do?

I’ve checked the nvidia Website and it looks like your card is supported by the latest drivers so you should be ok. Are you going to use the 5.4lts kernel or update to 5.9?

You can remove the 440 drivers using this

And then use then if needed use the manjaro settings gui to install the latest drivers. Backup first just to be safe, there’s a lot of people on here far more knowledgeable than me

@sawdoctor I am OK with any kernel so long as it works with my hardware :slight_smile: More specifically, my graphics card and the WiFi adapter.

So, after taking the backup, should I just execute those commands and then continue with the upgrade?

Personally I’d install kernel 5.9 first just incase and then remove nvidia 440 and then upgrade. Once upgrade has finished double check the latest nvidia drivers have been installed. It should happen automatically but nothing worse than booting to a black screen and having to mess with tty