[Unstable Update] January 2024 Edition

No issues with the default dbus selection here, although I did perform the update over TTY to be ultra-conservative. I never bothered switching from lightdm and I’ve also masked avahi-daemon.

2 Likes

I tried the update again today. Now I can reach SDDM, and the system appears to be fine. :person_shrugging:

Edit: I do not know how many Guild Wars 2 players are here, but the only issue I have is with this game now. Its launcher seems to cause a GPU hang on Wayland. Can’t switch to another TTY, but SysRq works.
On X11, the launcher is frozen, but still responds to input (entering password, and pressing Enter to launch the game proper etc.), and GPU isn’t hung.
An Arch user can confirm the same behaviour on two different machines, using Plasma:

Reverting today’s update with Timeshift fixes this issue.
I don’t know if this is an Arch (seems more likely) or a Proton problem. I’ve tested both official and GE versions of Proton.

Edit2: This person pinpointed the issue to pixman: Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more. - Page 85 - Account & Technical Support - Guild Wars 2 Forums

1 Like

For some reason initramfs generated on my laptop for linux 6.7 is very big, and I’m sure I have no specific options for 6.7 that differ from 6.6 or 6.1. Why is it so?

3 Likes

If you are on btrfs, you can avoid loosing any logs, if you create a separate subvolume for the logs. (like @varlog for /var/log)

The size is absolutely ridiculous, feature ‘packed’ or not (it broke my /boot partition, I’ve had to move it to a larger one), seems it’s similar for all distros (certainly for arch and manjaro), I’m sure it’s because it’s 6.7.0 (the first official, still experimenting I guess), that’s not going to stay like that.

Just for the fallback image on my machines though (which I’ve always disabled). default image size looks fine to me.

2 Likes

The latest update mesa 23.3.3-1 pushed yesterday fixed the problem of running pure GTK4 and LibAdwaita apps on my laptops (intel CPUs <=gen5), and now all my installed GTK4/LibAdwaita apps work fine without any crash or graphical glitches.

On ext4, unfortunately.

When I start “SystemdGenie” (repo extra) and try to perform any action (system) in systemd:

Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 3

Why?
(even when started by sudo or pkexec)

The requester for password does not come up, the mentioned error is shown.
Using “sudo SystemdGenie” there are many complains “too many open files”
whereas “pkexec SystemdGenie” the output is not helpfull at all.

workaround:
only user accounts using x11 are affected - wayland works
So I have to replace “Plank” by an other DOCK and switch to wayland…

My SOLUTION:
change in qt6 / qt5 theme papirus to something else
==> otherwise “sudo SystemdGenie” from zsh output: too many open files.
Now requester comes up and app is working normal “as before”.

Well, my default 6.7.0 image is 187M (fallback is 253M).
-rw------- 1 root root 187M Jan 10 13:31 /boot/initramfs-6.7-x86_64.img
All other default images are ~ 11M.
I’m not familiar with kernel sizes history but I’ve looked up in timeshift, both 6.5 and 6.6.0 (first official) were also ~ 11M. My mkinitcpio is pretty boaring (HOOKS=(base udev autodetect modconf kms keyboard keymap block filesystems)). I have cryptodisk enabled in grub but that shouldn’t affect this part (otherwise also pretty standard).
I’m getting almost identical results both for archlinux and Manjaro (though very similar setups and h/w).

1 Like

When I installed dbus-broker ages ago, I had to do two steps:

sudo systemctl enable dbus-broker.service
sudo systemctl --global enable dbus-broker.service

The second step is for the user units. You can try to enable it and see if systemdgenie works again. I tested it here and systemdgenie is working on my installation using x11.

For me, it’s similar:

total 366M
-rwx------ 1 root root  62M Jan 12 17:10 ...-6.1.71-1-MANJARO.efi
-rwx------ 1 root root  67M Jan  9 19:38 ...-6.6.10-1-MANJARO.efi
-rwx------ 1 root root 238M Jan  9 19:31 ...-6.7.0-0-MANJARO.efi

(It’s a unified kernel image, however, the difference is significant!)

This is with zstd compression with the options -7 -T0.

1 Like

I thought that it’s due to some debugging options in kernel’s config, but seems it’s not, at least I found no specific debugging options enabled for 6.7 compared to 6.6. And btw I recall a similar thing when 6.6 was out of its RC phase, then I believe @philm or @Yochanan pushed a commit that reduced initrd size significantly, this is why I suspected some kernel config options being the culprit, but I don’t remember which ones.
@mithrial yeah, exactly the same.

Aw, a fellow unified kernel image user! :raised_hand:

2 Likes

dbus-broker.service dbus.socket are running (system and user).
On Wayland ok,
But on x11 the FileRequester for authentication (password) does not come up.

…which apparently are no longer necessary.

Indeed. The socket is automatically enabled and triggers the service.

2 Likes

This is the first explanation I’ve seen and it does make sense (NVIDIA boot firmware is bundled by mkinitcpio or something, I have kms and NVIDIA)…

2 Likes

And the best part is: everyone else gets the firmware, too :stuck_out_tongue:

So, does anyone who had manually run the sudo systemctl enable dbus-broker.service & sudo systemctl --global enable dbus-broker.service commands have to do any further action such as running sudo systemctl disable dbus-broker.service & sudo systemctl --global disable dbus-broker.service? Or is it okay to leave things as-is?

1 Like

If you don’t have NVIDIA you should be fine.

I don’t, but get the increased size anyway.