[Unstable Update] 2023-05-21 - Repository changes

Hey guys, how should an ordinary user respond to this kind of upgrade from Arch?
Just replace pacman.conf with the new one ?

The same way you should in every case.
Handle the pacnews and resync.
Most do this by using pacdiff.

1 Like

It must be on my past install i did it previously. So minimum 3,5 years ago, maybe even 6. Things just tend to work, so instead of spending endless time constantly comparing .pacnews i just wait until things break, and in meantime rely on that if some common config change is needed it will be mentioned in stable update thread :person_shrugging:

Chrooting in to fix things is pretty painless (never needed to do it, just tested once) and i have enough trust in developers that “forgetting” to update a config won’t catastrophically break something and eat my data.

manjaro-tools-base-git the file /usr/share/manjaro-tools/pacman-mirrors.conf still has community in it.
When building an iso this is seen

==> ERROR: invalid symlink: '/usr/lib/libnss_files.so.2'
==> ERROR: invalid symlink: '/usr/lib/libnss_dns.so.2'
=> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.

That’s fine, the community repo still exists for now, it’s just empty.

Please create a new Support topic with more details if you still need help with building an ISO.

@servimo @Oldhabbits

what i failed to mention was that, i had also defaulted ntfs3 driver in udisks, and the absence of error is probably due to that. however when i explicitly set ntfs-3g driver, i did run into more or less the same error.

$ udisksctl mount -t ntfs-3g -b /dev/sdb1
Error mounting /dev/sdb1: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.OptionNotPermitted: Requested filesystem type `ntfs-3g' is neither well-known nor in /proc/filesystems nor in /etc/filesystems

in any case if you plan switching to ntfs3 please make sure you run

$ sudo ntfsfix -d /dev/sdXX

on any partition you have previously run ntfsfix without the -d flag, before mounting.

2 Likes

Maybe is this what “gnome-disk-utility” did in the NTFS partition when I ran “verify system archive” and “correct system archive”.

Thank you, @koshikas! I tried to switch from ntfs-3g to ntfs3 using Arch Wiki, but I didn’t pay attention to -d (--clear-dirty) flag. Now everything works with ntfs3.

I will stay with “ntfs-3g” as my system now is up and working.

1 Like

I finally put in the new video card and decided I would just do fresh installs of the OS’s I had. I installed Garuda first cause it was late and there are a few things in it I use first thing in the morning. I’ll be doing Manjaro next and would like to know as a fresh install after the repos were changed will pacman.conf have the updated info after first landing on the desktop after install or will I still need to do the merge?

Depends which ISO and when. These changes havent hit Stable yet … and there hasnt been a new release recently … so … the normal official ones - yes, you would.
If you go and find some daily built ISO using Unstable (with current pacman in it) … then no, thered be nothing to do.

We got a rather big bug coming down. Mesa.

Affecting Radeon users. (amdgpu seems ok)

No, we don’t. We don’t update to development versions. :wink:

1 Like

Ah fair.
I was wondering how our overlay or whatever would matter.
But I couldnt ask “Unknown Packager” :sweat_smile:

The current release which once on the desktop and have done the first update I switch to the Unstabvle branch.

Then, as already said … youd have to manage the differences.

I changed my idea, I switch to ntfs3. If the kernel have support for NTFS, why not?
I removed “ntfs-3g”, installed “ntfsprogs-ntfs3” from AUR and did the change on configuration to /etc/udisks2/mount_options.conf`.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Target not found: pacman>=6.0.2-11

while i much prefer ntfs3 driver over ntfs-3g, so far it has not been exactly smooth sailing. ntfs3 is very sensitive to NTFS upkeep and rejects mounting NTFS partitions for the slightest of discrepancies. on all such occasions i’ve had no issues mounting the same partition with ntfs-3g. ntfs3 will only resume mounting when it is corrected by ntfsfix -d or at worst with chkdsk /f. i have/would keep ntfs-3g as a contingency.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Gtkhash: error while loading shared libraries: libmbedcrypto.so.7