Unstable breaks fresh install

Just installed manjaro-kde-23.1.4-240406-linux66.iso, booted to installed desktop, did the handful of updates, proceeded to switch the branch to Unstable only to have Manjaro boot to a black screen after the Unstable updates and reboot. I went into the live and chrooted and updated the kernel to 6.8.7 hoping that would resolve the issue but no still boots to a black screen. on that reboot I went into Advanced Setting on Manjaro’s Grub screen and both the 6.8.7 and 6.6? kernerns are installed. Any suggestions on how one might get this up and running without having to reinstall? Thanks

I’d suggest restoring your root partition from the backup you took before you made a big change like switching to Unstable.

You did take a backup, didn’t you?

You did read OP, didn’t you?

@CummingCowGirl did what you did, merged pacnews and working fine after reboot in a VM. So without any other info, it’s you doing something wrong or better yet you not doing something.

Yes. OP mad a big change which broke the system and wants to get it back to the state before the change. This is precisely the sort of thing backups are for.

I guess you need glasses then:

As I said in order:

Installed the ISO using BTRFS after editing partition.conf
Once on the installed desktop Idid sudo pacman -Sy then the updates (sudo pacman -Syu)
Rebooted
Proceeded to switch branches to Unstable (which I’ve done in the pass without any issue)
Did the updates
Rebooted

My best guess would be something to do with SDDM and everything else is fine. What I’m wanting to know is if there is anything I can try from chroot to see if I’m right and if so fix SDDM?

[…]booted to installed desktop, did the handful of updates, proceeded to switch the branch to Unstable

Seems it isn’t me who needs glasses. The obvious opportunity to make a backup is after installing and before switching branch.

Backup of what? Freshly installed system? :joy:

That is an assumption and incorrect. I actually would like to fix the current install state so I can run Manjaro KDE with Plasma 6. As for the backup I didn’t realize Timeshift for Manjaro was not added to the Manjaro Grub menu otherwise I would of added timeshift-autosnap and grub-btrfs to my install before switching branches.

How about trying suggestions here.
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/how-to-troubleshoot-black-screen-on-boot/119235

1 Like

Well he updated his install, rollback a snapshot is faster then reinstall and update again!

Can you just stop with you arrogance to random forum members? Our community is small enough, we don’t need that…

@CummingCowGirl
The iso is sadly several month old, as far im aware of… just a shoot into the blue sky, maybe there is a relation to the plymouth bug where a lot people running into blackscreen problems last few month.

Inxi would help before you switched to unstable branch… maybe its a wayland problem?
Since we don’t see your system information, its hard to find the problem.

1 Like

I guess you should buy a pair too; there’s a date in the name of the iso.

Oh please… I’m just stating the obvious. How exactly is rolling back a system (freshly installed at that) a solution to whatever his/hers problem is?

Thanks for actually taking the time to try to help, it’s much appreciated. As for the ISO it’s fresh from the 6th of this month.

Ahh so true… im not coming from english time zone… so i always thought its a version number or something like that :smiling_face:

Edit: In germany we use DD.MM.YY

Yes there is a date in it and it’s the 6th of this month so brand spanking new, so whatever worthless point you’re trying to make is lost on EVERYONE.

I’m in th U.S. but I always change the date format to be ddMMyyyy (20042024).

The final problem wouldn’t be solved thats for sure. But i think and maybe @beermad also,
that OP can maybe find the problem faster in a working environment.

Example: posting inxi, look for journal errors, checking pacnew files and merge them a.s.o.

That’s sound really interesting to me, that you adapt our system.

The next goal is to adapt metric measure and throw away the imperial measure system :laughing:

Yea something we should of done back in the 1950’s.

let me explain and hopefully you aren’t too dense as to not comperhend. If I had a snapshot to roll back to I could use it, attemp the branch switch again, after updating it copy and save the Konsole output. Also see @Kobold’s last post.

1 Like

When you boot to a black screen have you tried ctrl alt f2 f3 etc to see if you can get to the terminal.

Year-month-day is a ISO standard date and has nothing to do with imperial units.

You know you can chroot and read all the logs you want?