Unity says not enough space but I have enough

I am new to Linux to be honest.

Welcome to the forum! :vulcan_salute:

A lot depends on how you installed Unity. If it is a Snap or a FlatPak, then it runs containerized, and then it’ll have limited resources and access.

Another factor is that — at least, as I understand it — the things you are downloading via Unity will be stored in your home directory, and if you assigned a separate partition to /home upon installation, then only the disk space allotted to /home will be available.

Furthermore, the available disk space in Plasma’s System Monitor is incorrect — there’s a bug in there which randomly becomes active and misrepresents the amount of available storage. As an example, I have a 1 TiB SSD and a 750 GiB HDD in this machine, but it tells me I have 3.5 TiB of available space.

The commands… :point_down:

du -sh /home

… and… :point_down:

df -Th

… should give you a good estimate of how much space you are really using.

3 Likes

What is that “Unity”?
Is it some kind of alternative installer?

It obviously can’t download stuff because where that stuff is to be stored is not enough space to do so.
… find out where this storage location is - some configuration, I’d guess

1 Like

Posting the output of inxi -Fazy would be a lot more helpful than the screenshot which provides very little useful information about your system.

How many partitions are there on your drive? The system monitor adds up all storage including external attached devices.

Also, do you have swap enabled? With only 4GB of RAM, your system is probably going to struggle a lot of the time.

2 Likes

As I understand it, it’s some sort of development environment for Android software. :man_shrugging:

Normally it would download to the user’s home directory, because it runs under the user’s UID.

2 Likes

It’s a game engine, and a DE, but I’m reasonably sure we’re talking about the game engine. Especially considering the screenshot shows Linux, Windows and Android build options.

1 Like

Seems like a container/permissions problem to me. If it is in flatpak or snap it has to be allowed to access the rest of the disk, which usually happens automatically but maybe sometimes not. Provide more info how did you install it, from where, etc.

2 Likes

I used the yay command.

Ok, then it is not a container. Probably aur then. Then i do not know. Still may be writing where it has no permission to (not in home).

1 Like

What is the installation location of the “Unity Editor” and how much space is left there? It is probably a separate partition.

The Disk Total Space is a summery of all partitions, which are part of the root file system. It doesn’t show every part and doesn’t differ.

This command gives use a more detailed view on the terminal:

df --print-type --human-readable

you are probably right,
but he didn’t actually say

yay what?

2024-07-09 22:57:40 unityhub 3.8.0-1 installed

via yay

inxi -zv8 ?

Clears throat… I used the yay command, Sir!

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Same as I. But see… It downloads the files to /tmp which is a tmpfs (RAM Disk) by default. You have only 4GB RAM and it will run out of space very fast.

In /etc/fstab you can disable it be commenting the line with # at the beginning. Now systemd will create it automatically as RAMDISK.

sudo systemctl daemon-reload
sudo systemctl mask tmp.mount

Then reboot and enjoy your /tmp on your filesystem. Btw 4GB RAM is not enough for Unity.

Um, that is the same thing, amigo. Whether it’s listed in /etc/fstab as a tmpfs or whether systemd mounts it, it’ll still be a tmpfs. And with 4 GiB of RAM — of which I presume about 128 MiB will be reserved for onboard graphics — /tmp will thus be about 1.9 GiB in size maximum.

A solution to this limitation of available space would be to make /tmp into a disk partition — as used to be the case before the advent of systemd — but then one would need to have enough unused disk space already available as a separate partition, and I strongly suspect that the OP has not done that. The machine is probably so old that its internal drive is most likely not that big, and thus the OP will probably have used up all available space already.

This (:point_up:), followed by a reboot, could work.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.