Uninstalling old kernel

Hello everyone. This morning I installed Manjaro KDE on my laptop. I used the 20.0.3 iso and reached 20.1 through the updates. I have kernel 5.8.3 installed and running, but for some reason I cannot uninstall the older one (5.7.17). I keep getting the message failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies), removing linux57 breaks dependency ‘linux57’ required by linux-latest. Any help would be great. Thanks.

you have to remove linux-latest fist
ans use mhwd-kernel for removing one
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Manjaro_Kernels

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try it later and let you know about the results.

Be aware though that if you remove linux-latest, then you are going to have to pay attention yourself to when your running kernel becomes EOL.

The package linux-latest always makes sure that you move onto the latest stable kernel. Right now, that’s still 5.7, because not all extra-modules have been built for 5.8 yet. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for your remark. I guess that when 5.8 becomes fully stable, the system will let me uninstall 5.7. Therefore, I’ll leave things as they are for the time being. :ok_hand:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.