Unexpected Inconsistency Run fsck manually

Hi all.

My laptop (Asus Tuf A15) has had problems lately, where it would randomly freeze. I would shut down (hold power) and restart and usually it’d be fine.

Now, it’s happened again but won’t boot up. It loads to a screen, and says:

UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY (i.e., without -a, or -p options)
ERROR: Bailing out. Run ‘fsck UUID= ##’ manually
FILESYSTEM CHECK FAILED
Please run fsck manually. After leaving this maintenance shell, the system will reboot automatically.
sh: can’t access tty: job control turned off

And under that there’s a line I can run commands, all I can get it to do is “exit” and reboot but it lands on the same screen.

Any advice what to try?

Boot live iso and run fsck from there.

I made a bootable USB with Manjaro, and booted the laptop up.
After it loaded, I went into command prompt and ran “fsck” and it just says

fsck from util-linux 2.39.3

Boot live iso → GParted → Start the “Check” option on the selected partition of the installed system

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not a magic command. Search how to check disk with fsck.

These links should be useful:

Note that fsck should run on an unmounted partition with a Linux filesystem, and will usually require elevated privileges (sudo).

Additionally, it is often preferable to perform such operations from a bootable Manjaro installer, or similar.

Note also that when using the Manjaro installer, you are already the root user, so sudo is not needed.

I hope this helps. Cheers.

First look in your Drivelist with:
lsblk

After identication your drive/partition use use this command:

sudo fsck -f -y /dev/sdXX
(-f Forcescan -y always yes to all questions) (sdXX Replace XX with your unmounted drive that needs to be scanned)

Edit:
I would also find out why your Laptop is freezing and if its a heat problem, when your laptop has not enough ram you can also stop the freeze with REISUB, i recommend to activate it.

It saved my OS in the past as i had problems, from hard Shutdown because of this feature. When my memory was full and my mouse cursor froze.