Unable to use 2nd monitor using displaylink :(

I am having some issues trying to enable video using displaylink. I am using the 6.2.0-2-rt3-MANJARO kernel & my windows manager is Xfce on my HP Envy m7 Notebook. I have followed the steps for archlinux for enabling video using displaylink devices. I have enabled the displaylink service & I have installed the headers of the kernel that I am using. If I missed any information, I have posted an image of my neofetch output. One more thing, I see the 2nd monitor but it’s at the logon screen. I can’t use it. Help!!!

What about this part?
DisplayLink and NVIDIA dGPU on X11 (Optimus+DL)

1 Like

hmmm. I haven’t tried this yet. I thought this was strictly for nvidia optimus cards. I have a nvidia GeForce card. Ok…This will be my next step. BTW I am using video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime driver along with video-modsetting & video-vesa.

This should not be installed…
Im surprised it didnt break gfx if it is…
Maybe return

mhwd -l -li

I have removed the video-vesa driver.

Please stop using screenshots.

And please do not use sudo unless it is required.

Did you?
It appears to still be there…

sudo mhwd -r pci video-vesa
1 Like

no I removed it after I took the screenshot. & yes ‘sudo’ is required on my setup. I want users to know the su password to make hardware changes. If not, they can’t do it. It’s a safety mechanism.

I understand what sudo is for … it was not required for the list command … it was not asked for.

jrob@funzone ~]$ mhwd -l -li
> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI

Its fine we got the info … it was just a passing recommendation not to use sudo when it isnt required … bad practice and all.
Anyhoo … let us know how the wiki stuff goes since you do have an optimus setup.
Well, unless or until someone else with an nvidia comes along.

1 Like

I have configured the xorg.conf file before, but I thought that was strictly for the nvidia optimus series cards. I will attempt to use that next. Funny thing, I didn’t originally have the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime driver installed & I used to get two providers when viewing ‘xrandr’. I messed around & installed that hybrid driver & now I can’t remove it. :unamused:

I have some progress. I upgraded my plugable docking station & now I have two providers listed in xrandr.

[jrob@funzone ~]$ xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 2
Provider 0: id: 0x43 cap: 0xf, Source Output, Sink Output, Source Offload, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 2 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting
Provider 1: id: 0x254 cap: 0x0 crtcs: 0 outputs: 0 associated providers: 0 name:NVIDIA-G0

I believe I need to configure my displaylink connection with the nvidia driver. I will return back with results.

Mods you can close this thread. I used the proprietary nvidia drivers & the evdi-compat-git displaylink package. I was able to profit & get my plugable docking station video to work :slight_smile: :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.