Unable to upgrade packages due to conflicts

I am unable to upgrade packages on my machine:

System: Kernel: 5.10.36-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasm a 5.21.5 Distro: Manjaro Linux

it fails with the following error:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing expat (2.4.1-1) breaks dependency 'expat=2.3.0' required by lib32-expat
:: installing libcap (2.50-1) breaks dependency 'libcap=2.49' required by lib32-libcap
:: installing libelf (0.184-1) breaks dependency 'libelf=0.183' required by lib32-libelf

Any help on what I can do to resolve this would be much appreciated.

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:!
This seems like something about your mirrors isn’t right, quite possibly related to the multilib repository.
I would suggest you to update your mirrorlist with the pacman-mirrors utility and additionally to force-update your repository cache with the command

sudo pacman -Syy

Aferwards, check if the system upgrade works normally.
If it does not, feel free to reply.

2 Likes

@DarkWav thank you for your replay this solved it I’ve run:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack

followed by

sudo pacman -Syyu 
1 Like

imho, I’d always run sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syyu.

When you run pacman-mirrors using --country or --geoip a /var/lib/pacman-mirrors/custom-mirrors.json file is created. You only need to do this once or very infrequently, depending on the quality and existence of the mirrors.

When you use --fasttrack those custom mirrors are checked and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist is updated, which is the final list used by pacman.

When pacman runs, a fresh copy of the sync database in /var/lib/pacman/sync/ is updated. The double y updates all package databases. I believe that is saying update community.db, core.db, extra.db, and multilib.db. These commands aren’t executed that often, and it ensures databases are in sync. I’ve had fewer problems when updating since following this procedure.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.