Unable to start Xmonad nor bspwm via sddm

By default I have my system with Xfce ; OpenBox ; I3 and Awesome.
Nonetheless I wished to try xmonad and | or Bspwm.
I installed the expected Manjaro meta packages without any issues.
Both WMs appeared in the sddm list ( as expected) but when selected and after inserting the user password the screen simply screen froze . The mouse was still active though but no interaction with sddm . Had to access another TTY in order to reboot …
Although it happened in both Xmonad and Bspwm with the same behaviour …

Am I missing any configuration for both Xmonad or bspwm ?

Do you have some special reason to use sddm? Try with lightdm. Also share the desktop enteries you have made

Originallly had lightdm but it started to crash the system from time to time …
Since I changed to sddm no more crashes …

Although I startup my machine in shell only ( old init 3 mode ) and only after login call init 5 manually if needed …
Nonetheless all the other WMs work flawlessy …

Hi. I use xmonad on a daily basis. Install xterm, go into xmonad and press Alt+Shift+enter. If a terminal comes up, then you’re running the default config file and it’s normal that you think the screen is frozen, because xmonad doesn’t draw a wallpaper by default. In that case, your xmonad build is completely functional.

Otherwise, go into your regular DE and check the output of xmonad --recompile. It will show you all the errors in your config file.

Okay so i researched a bit and it turns out that by default bspwm is just a blank black screen.

Do the following steps for basic setup:

The example configuration is located in /usr/share/doc/bspwm/examples/.Copy bspwmrc from there into ~/.config/bspwm/ and sxhkdrc into ~/.config/sxhkd/.

mkdir ~/config/bspwm/ ~/.config/sxhkd/ 
cp /usr/share/doc/bspwm/examples/bspwmrc ~/.config/bspwm/
cp /usr/share/doc/bspwm/examples/sxhkd ~/.config/sxhkd/

The file bspwmrc needs to be executable since the default example is simply a shell script:

chmod +x  ~/.config/bspwm/ ~/.config/sxhkd/

Now I hope that you are not just “wm hopping” and know the fact that shortcuts are different in every wm. Follow this guide for learning some:

https://man.archlinux.org/man/bspwm.1

https://man.archlinux.org/man/sxhkd.1

For starting you can configure the terminal command and change terminal from urxvt to xfce4-terminal:

vim .config/sxhkd/sxhkdrc #change urxvt to xfce4-terminal

I suggest you to follow this tutorial too:

You could be missing a desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions.

Some window managers needs to be configured ground-up as they come with no defaults at all.

It seems that I need to configure manually both Xmonad and bspwm , before calling them via sddm …
Thanks all for the fast replies …

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.