Unable to see updates in Add/Remove Software

I’m running on the stable branch and I’m unable to see updates in Add/Remove Software, except for a single application update, since before 2022-08-07. I’m also unable to see the new kernels within the Kernel system configuration panel. I’ve verified my mirrors are “up to date” in the sync service. I’ve also changed my mirrorlist to attempt to force new checking.

Any ideas why my system could be stuck or what I could look into? I’m running the KDE flavor (if that matters). I’m eager to run the new 5.19 kernel. Thanks!

What’s output of

pacman -Si linux519 | grep Version
$ pacman -Si linux519 | grep Version                                                                                                                                                                                           
Version         : 5.19rc8-1

I’m unfortunately leaving for travel tomorrow morning and won’t be back until Saturday night, but I’ll check back in throughout the rest of the day (~10 hours) and hopefully can provide any other details that could help.

EDIT: After running sudo pacman -Syu it seems it can now find updates (not only at the CLI, but “Add/Remove Software” too). Since switching to Manjaro (long time Debian and Fedora user) I never learned pacman’s arguments and have been sticking to Add/Remove Software for installation and updates. Now that I’ve actually run the underlying pacman command, not sure if I can help in anyway diagnosing what the GUI’s issue was – let me know if I can be of any further use or if this issue should be closed.

If it’s of any concern – I did notice a “warning” unable to lock database Failed to synchronize databases upon installing – dismissing this just resumed installation and didn’t seem to change anything. If this continues to happen I’ll open another issue – but thought I’d mention it here in case it is relevant.

1 Like

Happened again today post 2022-08-07 updates installing – I had an application that I knew needed an update (Discord) and Add/Remove Software said I was all up to date until I ran sudo pacman -Syu.

Any ideas here on how to resolve, or logs/config I could look at and share? Should this go upstream? At this point I could just keep running pacman manually and don’t care quite as much, but think this should be resolved in case it’s a bug and not from any tinkering on my end.

For reference, I don’t do much tinkinering of packages – this might be the first time I’ve dealt with pacman manually on this machine (but I can’t remember), and I’m not even sure how to install from the AUR without Add/Remove Software. I have, however, disabled Flatpak support within Add/Remove Software to clean up the search results. The one related reason I’m using Manjaro is for relatively quick updates and easy switching for the kernel, and even for that I use the GUI (Kernel system settings applet).

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I’ve unmarked my previous comment as the solution – although it works, it doesn’t fix Add/Remove Software for future updates (as it seems currently)

Sounds like it might be a bad download of the pamac package databases in /var/lib/pacman/sync, likely from a server timeout. Pacman doesnt seem to have the issue. Next time it happens look there and see if you have any .part files. They would indicate that a database file only partially downloaded. A possible solution is to update the mirrorlist with the fastest mirrors, remove any .part files sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/sync/*.part then refresh the databases.

This seemed like my exact issue, and thankfully there was a new stable update today (I just arrived home). Unfortunately it happened again today with the new stable update, and I went on to check:

[sam@sam-mini ~]$ ls -l /var/lib/pacman/sync
total 53968
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  7418370 Aug 10 14:26 community.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 33744371 Aug  2 17:21 community.files
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   169156 Aug  7 06:49 core.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1613319 Jul 29 06:48 core.files
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1894875 Aug 10 18:49 extra.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  9928913 Jul 29 14:01 extra.files
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    17677 Mar 14 05:43 mhwd.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   183111 Aug  7 06:49 multilib.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   262648 Jul 29 06:48 multilib.files
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     2560 Aug  8 11:18 pamac_aur.db
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root        0 Aug 10 14:23 refresh_timestamp
[sam@sam-mini ~]$ ls -l /var/lib/pacman/sync/*.part
ls: cannot access '/var/lib/pacman/sync/*.part': No such file or directory
[sam@sam-mini ~]$ 

Note, this is after manually clicking “Refresh” multiple times in Add/Remove Software – notably, I’m noticing that all the timestamps are from before I went out of town (Aug 10, roughly the time of my last comment), and this output is before I ran sudo pacman -Syu, which did successfully find and install the updates. After invoking pacman directly just now, some of those timestamps are now up to date (many showing Aug 13).

So maybe Add/Remove Software (the pamac GUI? if I’m learning this right…) is opting to use whatever the current package database is and refusing to refresh?

There are a lot of things involved. Is the mirror that pacman/pamac using up to date? Is the mirror that pacman/pamac are using having its own issues? Are pacman and pamac trying the same server? Its hard to tell, and Im not sure how to find the answers to those questions to be quite honest. Thats why one of my suggestions was to rank the mirrors, and its a good idea to limit them to 5 or less.