I’ve been loading up USB sticks with data and, while working on this, have been trying new
autofs configurations to try and get the sticks to automount in a different way and I think I’ve borked it.
I’ve not got anywhere with
autofs for USB, so I’ve taken the elements I added there out completely (It was working fine for my nfs shares).
I’ve obviously kicked something somewhere as I now can’t seem to mount a stick the usual way anymore. Attempting to mount just gives the error above.
Why would this be and how can I get it back?
I’d go for a reboot but that’s out of the question at the moment as I’ve got a 3 day operation running on a secondary OS disk.
When I put a stick in this is my device tree via
NAME FSTYPE FSVER LABEL UUID FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINTS sda └─sda1 ext4 1.0 Cloud Linux 9d44b0e8-08c3-44d3-a2de-ab7df0f4492e 979.5G 68% /cloud sdb └─sdb1 sdc ├─sdc1 vfat FAT32 3D66-94F4 ├─sdc2 ext4 1.0 Manjaro Gnome 5fe8aabe-45b7-490a-a64a-bf255650c1d0 └─sdc4 ntfs Scratch 082A54672A545432 103G 69% /scratch sde └─sde1 vfat FAT32 ORBITAL 6EBA-01C5 nvme0n1 ├─nvme0n1p1 vfat FAT32 NO_LABEL 048C-6C0A 298.8M 0% /boot/efi └─nvme0n1p4 btrfs Manjaro KDE 656d8930-a03a-4850-a10b-696abf952cd4 250.8G 46% /var/cache /var/log /home / nvme1n1 ├─nvme1n1p1 vfat FAT32 C459-1F93 ├─nvme1n1p2 ├─nvme1n1p3 ntfs Windows 28FE59B8FE597ECE ├─nvme1n1p4 ntfs 603A302D3A300298 └─nvme1n1p5 ext4 1.0 Timeshift Gnome 619ad6a1-afea-4b4b-9936-6076bed02705
The stick is in
/dev/sde1 so it’s there, just not mounted properly. Previously it was using
/dev/sdd1 - not sure if that’s normal. It feels like I’ve locked something up with what WAS
/dev/sdd1 but at this point my knowledge evaporates and I don’t know what to do to get it back.
I’ve tried putting a different USB stick in using the port next to the one I was using before and I get the same result as above (but with a different label).
lsusb output for completeness…
Bus 002 Device 024: ID 30de:6545 KIOXIA TransMemory Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0b05:19af ASUSTek Computer, Inc. AURA LED Controller Bus 001 Device 009: ID 058f:6254 Alcor Micro Corp. USB Hub Bus 001 Device 008: ID 062a:4101 MosArt Semiconductor Corp. Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Bus 001 Device 007: ID 413c:301c Dell Computer Corp. Dell Universal Receiver Bus 001 Device 018: ID 043e:9a39 LG Electronics USA, Inc. USB Controls Bus 001 Device 017: ID 045e:0772 Microsoft Corp. LifeCam Studio Bus 001 Device 016: ID 0bda:5411 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5411 Hub Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
This article seems similar to my problem, but isn’t quite the same: https://askubuntu.com/questions/806762/permission-problem-on-media-user-folder-prevents-me-from-accessing-external-med
It did prompt me to look at the affected folder though.
/run/media I get this.
total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 Jan 31 21:33 . drwxr-xr-x 35 root root 900 Jan 31 21:48 ..
If I do
sudo mkdir username I just get…
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘media/username’: Permission denied
This seemed really weird to me so I looked at the same folders on my Gnome Laptop and they look exactly the same and perform the same way, but the mounting just works - The
username subfolder is created automatically and removed again when there’s no devices, so this seems to be a red herring.
I remain at a loss.