Unable to launch Wine, winecfg

I’ve been trying to get Roblox Player and more importantly Roblox Studio to work on my laptop with a program called grapejuice, but found I couldn’t install either. I later discovered that it wasn’t a grapejuice issue, but a Wine issue, as I couldn’t launch any applications with Wine. This is my first time using Wine, so I’m not sure exactly how to troubleshoot, and searching for the issues I’m facing hasn’t proved helpful. So far I’ve tried to delete my .wine directory, remove Wine, and reinstall multiple times. After doing so, I ran winecfg. This is the output:

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/rydersj/.wine'
002c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0048:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0050:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0048:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0048:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Unknown error (998).
0048:err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
0048:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0024:err:environ:run_wineboot boot event wait timed out
wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

I’ll also note that in my .wine directory, there are no files anywhere. Not in system32 or syswow64 like I would assume there should be for any working installation of Windows. So, as I haven’t seen any special installation instructions for Wine anywhere, I’m not sure what might have caused this.

The issue appears to have been fixed by the newest update.

1 Like

I’m marking this thread as solved based on the above.

No need to add “Solved” on the title if you do mark the thread as solved by yourself. (Click on the “hamburguer” button at the bottom of the post, the option is hidden there).

Reopening again since for whatever reason, it’s broken again. I haven’t touched my Wine installation at all for the past couple days nor has it been updated. Is there some other package that’s breaking it, perhaps? Output of winecfg after reinstalling and deleting .wine directory:

wine: created the configuration directory '/home/rydersj/.wine'
002c:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0048:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0050:fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" (6.0.0.0)
0048:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
0048:err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Unknown error (998).
0048:err:systray:initialize_systray Could not create tray window
0048:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0024:err:environ:run_wineboot boot event wait timed out
wine: could not load kernel32.dll, status c0000135

If I run winecfg again right after this, it simply gets stuck and prints no output.

I just had a situation where I went to launch a game, and it crashed my system.
After reboot, my drive automount was disabled, and nothing installed in my default wine prefix would work.

I found that my system.reg file in the .wine directory contained no data.
Luckily I had a second wine prefix installed for fusion360. I copied the system.reg, and so far everything seems to work.

I don’t know what the implications are of using a different system.reg, but so far so good. I just needed to redo some settings in a couple of programs.

I will make a backup of all registries in this prefix after I am sure everything is 100%

I also needed to reinstall some winetricks stuff.

1 Like

This was old post from 3 months ago.

Yeah, but someone else might run into it. Like I just did. So here is a possible solution.

I also ended up having to reapply proton tricks for some reason.

This is pretty bad lol.

2 Likes