Unable to launch pamac-manager

I am new to Linux and Manjaro. After the system update today, the Add or Remove Program (pacman-manager) cannot be launched. Whenever it is clicked, a small icon is jumping next to the cursor and an icon shows up in the “taskbar” but simply disappear without the pacman-manager windows shows up.

What could be the cause? Is there anything that I can do to correct the issue?

Thank you in advance

Hello and welcome,

Considering you reboot the system after the update, what are the errors if you start it from Terminal?
pamac-manager

what happens if you remove the pamac-flatpak-plugin and pamac-snap-plugin?

pamac remove pamac-flatpak-plugin pamac-snap-plugin

We had a similar issue in v10.0 we are currently testing. Seems something changed and affected also the stable release.

You can also disable the plugins like so:

sudo sed -i -e /EnableSnap/d /etc/pamac.conf
sudo sed -i -e /EnableFlatpak/d /etc/pamac.conf

2 Likes

Hi, I have removed the pamac manager and installed the one with -dev
sudo pacman -S pamac-gtk-dev pamac-cli-dev pamac-common-dev

Now there is chance that the pamac-manager launches. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. This is the message returned if I start it from the terminal if it doesn’t launch.

** Message: 07:34:01.569: flatpak_plugin.vala:345: last flathub appstream refresh is older than 6
** Message: 07:34:01.571: flatpak_plugin.vala:346: refreshing flathub appstream data

(process:4324): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 07:34:02.391: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here. Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.

(pamac-manager:4324): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 07:34:02.406: g_application_run: assertion ‘acquired_context’ failed

I was having the same issue. removing flatpak and snap plugin solved the issue.
when I ran pamac-manager in terminal I got this message.

** Message: 17:46:37.217: flatpak_plugin.vala:125: last flathub appstream refresh is older than 6
** Message: 17:46:37.217: flatpak_plugin.vala:126: refreshing flathub appstream data

(process:5712): GLib-GIO-WARNING **: 17:46:37.526: /etc/xdg/kde-mimeapps.list contains a [Added Associations] group, but it is not permitted here.  Only the non-desktop-specific mimeapps.list file may add or remove associations.

(pamac-manager:5712): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 17:46:37.528: g_application_run: assertion 'acquired_context' failed

Hi, these two plugins are no longer installed. I removed the original version and switched to those with -dev version (10.0.0beta-2). It does launch, but sometimes yes and sometimes no. The files currently installed are:

pamac-cli-dev
pamac-common-dev
pamac-flatpak-plugin-dev
pamac-gnome-integration-dev
pamac-gtk-dev
pamac-snap-plugin-dev
pamac-tray-icon-plasma

And, I also find that the manjaro-hello and manjaro-applications-utility cannot be launced.

Hi there, can you launch the manjaro hello and manjaro application utility?

Yes I can. Those seem to be working fine.

1 Like

I got the following message when I try to run manjaro-hello from the terminal.

(manjaro-hello:7373): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:07:32.609: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:2:33: Failed to import: Error opening file /home/simwc/.config/gtk-3.0/window_decorations.css: No such file or directory.

(manjaro-hello:7373): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:07:32.622: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:68:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(manjaro-hello:7373): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:07:32.623: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:69:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(manjaro-hello:7373): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:07:32.624: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:73:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-within-bevel is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/manjaro-hello", line 409, in <module>
    hello = Hello()
  File "/usr/bin/manjaro-hello", line 172, in __init__
    manager.get_modules(self)
  File "/usr/bin/manjaro-hello", line 30, in get_modules
    app.load(window)
  File "/usr/bin/manjaro-hello", line 80, in load
    from application_utility.browser.application_browser import ApplicationBrowser
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/application_utility/browser/application_browser.py", line 26, in <module>
    from application_utility.config.hello_config import HelloConfig
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/application_utility/config/hello_config.py", line 25, in <module>
    from application_utility.browser.config import Config
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/application_utility/browser/config.py", line 27, in <module>
    from .data import Data
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/application_utility/browser/data.py", line 31, in <module>
    gi.require_version("Pamac", "9.0")
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 129, in require_version
    raise ValueError('Namespace %s not available for version %s' %
ValueError: Namespace Pamac not available for version 9.0

Removing the plugins worked for me. Reinstalling them, too. Now it’s working as before with both plugins

1 Like

I had this issue. Removing the flatpak plugin worked. When I reinstalled the plugin, everything was still okay. But when I re-enabled flatpak support in Pamac, the issue returned.

1 Like

I was having the same issue, removed flatpak-plugin and pamac-manager launched instantly.

1 Like

I am facing the same problem

1 Like

I faced the same issue and package manger was opening only after removing flatpak plugin.
sudo pacman -R pamac-flatpak-plugin

So, I resolved the issue by removing plugin, and ran the below command to reinstall flatpak and plugin.
sudo pacman -S flatpak
sudo pacman -S pamac-flatpak-plugin

You can try this workaround as it resolved the issue for me and is working perfect now.

3 Likes

Thank you! I get same errot but just removing flatpak solve the problem

I can’t confirm that. Even with flatpak support enabled it’s working again. Good luck with your efforts!

the problem was solved.

It is enough to update from the terminal
sudo pacman -Syyu

1 Like

I had the same problem in 25/12/2021 this link may help if someone also find this topic.