Unable To Download And Install KDE Window Decoration?

Hi,

On a fresh install of Manjaro KDE.
When I try to download and install a KDE window decoration nothing happens?
Any ideas?
(also downloading and installing KDE widgets has problems as well?)

Jesse

KDE servers (used by the Settings manager) possibly.

Facing the same issues.

A workaround is to,

1. See if itā€™s available via the repositories or AUR

or

1. Download the archive file directly from kde-look.org and manually install it

Hi,

I did download the window decoration.
But how do I install it into System Settings?
I donā€™t see a load from disk option there.

Jesse

They seriously removed that optionā€¦?

I could have sworn there was a button to manually install a theme from a .tar.gz file.

You can try this method:

kpackagetool5 -t Plasma/LookAndFeel -i NameOfFile.tar.gz

EDIT: Iā€™m 99% sure there was an ā€œInstall from fileā€ option.

The heck are these KDE devs doing? They actually removed that feature?

ļŒ’ ī‚° ļ¼ ~/Desktop ī‚° kpackagetool5 -t Plasma/LookAndFeel -i 136510-air-oxygen-color.tar.gz                 ī‚² āœ” 
QDBusConnection: error: could not send signal to service "" path "/KPackage/air-oxygen-color" interface "org.kde.plasma.kpackage" member "packageInstalled": Invalid object path: /KPackage/air-oxygen-color
Successfully installed /home/jlp/Desktop/136510-air-oxygen-color.tar.gz
 ļŒ’ ī‚° ļ¼ ~/Desktop ī‚°

Iā€™ll bite my tongue about my thoughts of KDEā€™s recent development and directionā€¦

I suppose weā€™ll just wait for the built-in tool to work again.

Itā€™s not only the KDE Window Decorations.
I get Errors on all ā€˜Get Newā€¦ā€™ Dialogs under Appearance. :slightly_frowning_face:
Tried to install Nordic Global Theme and used the workaround by intalling it with pamac (kvantum and nordic for kvantum) but the windows decorations looks nevertheless kinda broken.

Some windows looks fine, other have wrong colours in the titelbar (no, not gtk-programsā€¦ :wink:)

Any hints? Should i get rid of kvantum and use the normal nordic theme instead?

Its a little bit confusingā€¦

Ok, playtimeā€¦ I hope you learned about ā€˜plasmaconfigsaverā€™ before you started tweakingā€¦

Add that widget and save your current setup firstā€¦ itā€™ll save your terminal and latte configuration tooā€¦ so if you edited the colours of something like Event Calendar, and installed some strange and wonderful cursor set, and then tweaked your Konsole terminal font colours to suit your current theme - itā€™ll save that as a separate config.

Sometimes the downloads donā€™t work too well - though I did just manage to get the Nordic decorations and they work well (I just donā€™t like those circles - but I could live with just keeping a red circle for ā€˜closeā€™ and removing all the others).

So make sure you look at installing Lightly, also Material (which you can put the menu inline in the window titlebar, a nice alternative to the dropdown style vs global menu inline style).

Then just try again another time - sometimes the store doesnā€™t work well - so maybe another day.

1 Like

Does anyone know of a work-around?
Have everything perfect on this new desktop except window decorationā€¦

I just opened settings, ā€˜Get New Window Decorationsā€™ and installed Nordic.
Works perfectly, sorry. Maybe you messed something up in your home directoryā€¦

If that dialogue doesnā€™t work right, and it is a pig (quite often youā€™ll get some ā€˜Unknown API errorā€™ then the workaround is 1. Find the source of the decoration and 2. install it.

Generally the first step is internet search. Try ā€˜KDE window decoration Nordā€™.
This brings up results - the first being KDE store.

Then you search the store, and find there is ā€˜Nordic.tar.xzā€™ with an ā€˜Installā€™ button next to it.

Then click install.

If that isnā€™t working, then you need to install ocs-url (use terminal or Pamac ā€˜add/removeā€™ in the menu).

1 Like

ocs-url worked, thank you!

It works again because they fixed their issue upstream.

You can once again download/install directly from the the GUI. Try it now to see. I just installed several Window Decorations using the KDE settings GUI.

Settings ā†’ Appearance ā†’ Window Decorations

No need to use manual methods, third-party tools, or alternative routes (until KDE breaks it again.) :wink:

Ah, it works now!
The World is saved!

1 Like

Thx, after uninstalling und reinstall its all fine now :slight_smile:
ā€¦and yes, is sved my config with plasmaconfigsaver before :wink:
only got issues with nordic-cursors, but breeze cursors are quite fineā€¦

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.