Unable to connect to certain websites, connections are consisently inconsistent

Right, I’m usually able to solve these issues by research but this time I’m stumped.

I’m running on an install that has worked fine, with little to no config other than some ricing. Recently updated through pacman as normal, didn’t pay much attention to what was actually updated (as normal), rebooted, and now I’m stuck with an issue, and I don’t know where to look for the source.

Essentially, I am able to connect to google.com (most of the time), but anything else is up to chance. When I ping a site, it’s able to resolve the domain (except when it doesn’t), but then I get “Destination net unreachable”. Journalctl is all green, no errors, no out of ordinary messages.

Things I Have Found:

  • When I reboot, it works fine, for a little bit, and then it starts losing connections to things randomly.
  • When I mess with wifi settings (turn it off and back on, turn off ipv6, change dns, switch between wifi) it sometimes makes it work, for a bit, and then it stops again.
  • All other devices on the network function fine, its not the ISP, its not a firewall, its something local to this computer
  • Its most likely not a DNS issue of any kind, although I usually can’t even ping, or (gets resolved, get “destination net unreachable”)
  • It’s consistently inconsistent on what sites its able to reach, and which it can’t, except for google, it can usually reach google. I’m wondering if this has something to do with ISP/DNS caching.

My main issue right now, is I don’t really know where to look to find the problem. I have all these symptoms but no diagnoses.

Relevant sections of inxi -Fazy:

  Kernel: 6.6.19-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 13.2.1
    clocksource: tsc avail: hpet,acpi_pm
    parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.6-x86_64
    root=UUID=bce09459-fdbf-4f3e-a417-52a72a4c4a47 rw quiet splash apparmor=1
    security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3
  Desktop: GNOME v: 45.4 tk: GTK v: 3.24.41 wm: gnome-shell with: tint2
    tools: gsd-screensaver-proxy dm: GDM v: 45.0.1 Distro: Manjaro
    base: Arch Linux
  Type: Laptop System: Micro-Star product: GF63 Thin 11SC v: REV:1.0
  Device-1: Intel Tiger Lake PCH CNVi WiFi driver: iwlwifi v: kernel
    bus-ID: 00:14.3 chip-ID: 8086:43f0 class-ID: 0280
  IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8211/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    vendor: Micro-Star MSI RTL8111/8168/8411 driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1
    speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 3000 bus-ID: 03:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168
    class-ID: 0200
  IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: <filter>
  Info: services: NetworkManager, systemd-timesyncd, wpa_supplicant

resolv.conf output if relevant:

# Generated by NetworkManager
# NOTE: the libc resolver may not support more than 3 nameservers.
# The nameservers listed below may not be recognized.
nameserver 2606:4700:4700::1111
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888

Check system time and date, clear browser cache, make sure Javascript runs, check your extensions, create a new profile…these are all standard solutions to try for slow web sites. I have one site I go to https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/ that is often bogged down by some ad server, especially if I want to leave a comment. Closing it and re-starting it usually gets it going again.

Create a new user and see if the problem happens when logged on there. That will at least narrow it down to user or system wide problem.

It’s not slow websites, I know how to deal with those, its websites I’m already connected to, disconnecting. Its weird intervals of time where I am unable to connect to literally anything, weird intervals where I am only able to connect to a small assortment of thing, generally either preceding or coming after the intervals of no internet, which is usually solved by reboot. It’s also not application specific, tested with other programs, also have issues connecting. It’s not a browser thing is what I’m getting at,

Good idea, I will try that. The issue seems to currently be hiding from me, and is not occurring. Next time it happens I will test it on a different user. I have a hunch it won’t help, if it does, I will be even more confused than before.

Update: ISP was just being incredibly stupid and somehow it didnt present on other devices every time I checked them. I have a few other theories in mind, but I would need to test them. It resolved itself for now.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.