Unable to connect my Manjaro Plasma Pinephone to the 4G network

I thought the same thing too, but I can make phone calls without issues…
How can I check if the modem is working properly?

How can I check if the modem is working properly?

Might wanna check out the test image from our PostmarketOS friends.
More here: Pinephone Starter Guide - مستندات Google

Well then, your modem is working and maybe there is still this issue

I don’t think it’s a hardware problem. On Manjaro Phosh image the 4G works perfectly.
By “check if the modem is working properly” I rather meant to see if the service that runs it has crashed / won’t start / etc…

This problem also seems to affect phone calls and seems to occur regardless of the operating system, while on Manjaro Phosh 4G works without any problems without changing carrier.

Is because of this

On Phosh the only thing i know to be broken atm is GPS … the rest is almost flawless. PlaMo and Lomiri still wip … :slight_smile:

OK, now I see what the problem is.
Stupid question: if I were to switch to the unstable branch also on Plasma would this package be present? Or would it not be installed anyway?

It might not even boot on unstable now. Have some patience as the devs are working on it … :slight_smile:

Okay. Thank you very much for your help.

Any update on this? I heard there was a large push of new updates yesterday and I wonder if this was addressed :slight_smile:

The last update I received (on testing branch) was last Saturday and I didn’t notice any particular changes.
The 4G connection still doesn’t work and most of the time the phone doesn’t receive incoming calls. Outgoing calls and SMS seem to continue to work, however.

1 Like

Well - I do think this is carrier related - because I have zero issues with 4G - but I am living in Denmark.

I read a older blogentry on postmarket os web - comparing the pinephone with librem 5

I noted that the Pinephone supports the broadest range of various connection types - but with such thing as a modem - I think with that broad range of standards and carriers - there’s bound to something not working as well as you hoped.

Maybe it is prudent to add in - I am using phosh - not plasma.

1 Like

Today I finally found some time to flash the latest Plasma Mobile dev image on my Pinephone.

While I still have no luck in connecting it to the 4G network, I found this - I guess - new module in the Settings application:

Despite my various attempts to make it work, however, it seems to forget the data I enter. Is there any way to save the APN or is this screen just some kind of test that doesn’t work yet?

I got some advice from Plasma Mobile matrix chat resident dev Bhushan Shah.

qdbus --system org.ofono /quectelqmi_0 org.ofono.SimManager.GetProperties

Take a note of the SubscriberIdentity here. (You can ignore that command and instead find IMSI from system settings cell information.)

After that, in settings > Cellular Network > Access Points, check which of the context or APN makes most sense for your network if is e.g. 1st. Then

sudo nmcli c add type gsm con-name "/quectelqmi_0/context1/<IMSI_HERE>" ifname quectelqmi_0

And one last thing is to disable context from ofono side to let nm handle that [by running this python script - cd to the directory you saved this script and run python3 deactivate-all].

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/ofono/ofono.git/plain/test/deactivate-all

After that activating newly added connection should work ™️

I’d love to hear if any other users are able to get mobile data running with these instructions because so far it didn’t work for me :grimacing: I just get the following from nmcli m

quectelqmi_0: using connection '/quectelqmi_0/context1/46xxxxxxxxxxxx67'
quectelqmi_0: connecting (prepare)
quectelqmi_0: connection failed
quectelqmi_0: disconnected

It doesn’t work for me either.

I tried to execute all the commands even if the context proposed in Settings > Cellular Network > Access Points (the one you see in the post I published at the beginning of the thread) does not resemble in any way the APN of my operator (the one reported on the site is mobile.vodafone.it) and, in fact, once launched the command nmcli d connect quectelqmi_0 I get the following error: Error: Connection activation failed: (25) No carrier could be established.
I also tried rescanning the operators with ofonoctl operators, but the error keeps showing up.

I think it’s something with ofono and networkmanager fighting for control over the same resources. I will update if I learn more!

Ok I ran the deactivate all script again and then did nmcli n off followed by nmcli n on (note if you are using SSH via network you will lose the connection so best do this second step from the phone’s terminal). May be worth noting I ran all of the above sudo.

4G now works! :tada:

Do you have to redo these steps after a reboot?

No, you’re right. deactivate-all is not persistent. I guess that’s the next step :sweat_smile:

It seems deactivate-all has died (no longer works for me).

A fix that will hopefully let mobile data work out of the box is coming today or tomorrow according to plasma mobile dev :pray: