Unable to change wallpaper using deepin-kwin

It seems that I found an error, because I didn’t find it in the forum and I don’t know if it only occurs using a virtual machine. When I try to change the wallpaper, the option to change it opens, but it closes then and it doesn’t work. I noticed that the following error appears:

[  349.468948] dde-desktop[1300]: segfault at 40 ip 00005574314e5df0 sp 00007ffebde6b4a0 error 4 in dde-desktop[5574314ca000+aa000]
[  349.469056] Code: d7 0a 00 00 48 8d 85 c8 fe ff ff 48 89 85 80 fe ff ff 48 8b bd 68 fe ff ff ff 15 3b e6 0c 00 49 8b 04 24 48 8b 80 f0 00 00 00 <48> 8b 78 40 49 89 c7 e8 14 71 ff ff 84 c0 0f 84 24 0f 00 00 49 8b
[  352.763205] [drm:vmw_msg_ioctl [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to open channel.
[  352.763229] [drm:vmw_msg_ioctl [vmwgfx]] *ERROR* Failed to open channel.

If I remove the deepin-wm package then I can change the wallpaper, it works normally but without a window manager. If I remove deepin-kwin and try to change the wallpaper, the whole dock disappears and only the current wallpaper remains.

Inability to change the wallpaper is a long-standing bug with deepin on Manjaro.

Got it, and to date no viable solution?

not only manjaro but all arch based distros are effected by this issue. you can install xwallpaper or any other similar utility and change backgrounds from /usr/share/backgrounds/.

Deepin on Manjaro/Arch is notorious for its bugs, I’m afraid. Sometimes they get fixed, but then reappear in another form in a later update. If you really want to use this desktop, you’re best off installing the official Deepin distro atm.

I’m a little lost. deepin-kwin received a PR 10 hours ago, but deepin-wm hasn’t been updated since August and it says on GitHub that it’s out of date. However, there are the deepin-metacity and deepin-mutter packages, which seem to be based on GNOME, but now Deepin has been ported to QT.

What’s the reason for these deepin-metacity and deepin-mutter packages? If I turn on mutter, the role switching seems to work, but it has some limitations. Can someone explain to me how things are now? It looks like something is being replaced, but it’s all a bit confusing with all these packages.

I’m not sure what the current situation is, but Deepin has been a weird mix of Qt and GTK in the past.

If it’s any help, it looks like deepin-wm, deepin-metacity and deepin-mutter are no longer used by the official distro.

But in manjaro, if you don’t have deepin-wm and you only have deepin-kwin it doesn’t run a window manager.

Do you know how to run kwin on deepin?

I think variety wallpaper changer might work.

You might want to check out some of the old deepin posts: Topics tagged deepin

But basically, don’t expect miracles. Manjaro doesn’t offer official support for deepin any more.

1 Like