Unable to boot after last update

I solved the failing login to plasma with help from Arch forum :smiley:
But I cannot post links yet. In short:

I’ve tracked down the json problem to ~/.local/share/mime/packages and ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache. For some reason putting either of these back into my home folder instantly breaks everything. I’m not, however, sure if this is the cause of all of my problems. It is a good start, though. I’m not seeing anything broken by that file and directory not being there so I’m just going to ignore that for now. I also managed to rebuild my mime.cache with β€œmkdir ~/.local/share/mime/packages && update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime”

8 Likes

Thank you! This has helped with my plasma installation

1 Like

The next question is what in the β€˜bad’ path?
(looking at a relatively fresh install shows ~/.local/share/mime does not exist)

Happened to me last night. Got in from work, booted the computer, and started to do some office work. Noticed there were updates so ran them. I’ve been running Manjaro KDE Plasma for nearly 3 years and never ever had a problem, so I just go ahead and run updates whenever they are available.

Afterwards could not boot. I’d get to the normal login screen, but after putting in my password and hitting return it would just freeze.

Could access the system via tty but did not manage to fix it.

Thought it might have been the base (arch / manjaro), so installed debian’s plasma. I’d cleaned out my home directory first as I suspected it was something in my plasma theming. But after I brought some stuff back into my home directory it happened again. Couldn’t fix it so went to bed.

I found this post this morning and used the advice to nuke everything from my home folder. That fixed it. I could boot straight back in.

But because I was worried this might happen again sometime soon, especially with the switch to wayland coming up for plasma, I am now on Manjaro Gnome. I installed it this morning, and have had a bit of a battle getting used to how different things are.

I really like plasma but I’m going to force myself to stay on gnome for a while, get used to it, and see what I think. Right now it’s working well.

Just want to say thanks to the devs at Manjaro. I like what you build - thanks. In 3 years this is the first problem I’ve ever had. With windows this kind of thing used to happen to me every few months. And on windows I did not have dotfiles to bring my setttings back. Doing a reinstall was a nightmare of configuring every single program on the computer from scratch.

edit
…

My laptop was setup exactly like the desktop. It was my desktop that crashed and burned.

Today after thinking about it for a while, and getting rid of all the theming I’ve installed on the laptop, I ran sudo pacman -Syyu, and no problems. I thought the same thing might happen on the laptop but it updated perfectly and is running fine. I have no idea what the difference is. Probably some tiny little config file that I don’t even know exists.

Very good!
This was the solution to my problem as well. Using TTY3 I deleted the packages dir and mime cache. Rebuilt them and restarted. Login was successful.
Your help in this matter was greatly appreciated. Somebody get this man a beer.

Cheers

AT

@tommetomme MVP right here! :raised_hands:t2:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/mime
mkdir ~/.local/share/mime
mkdir ~/.local/share/mime/packages
update-mime-database ~/.local/share/mime
1 Like

Can someone who comes here please show us what was in that directory before removing it?

PS

mkdir -p ~/.local/share/mime/packages
~/.local/share/mime-bak $ tree -a -C -L 1 -F --dirsfirst
./
β”œβ”€β”€ application/
β”œβ”€β”€ audio/
β”œβ”€β”€ font/
β”œβ”€β”€ image/
β”œβ”€β”€ inode/
β”œβ”€β”€ message/
β”œβ”€β”€ model/
β”œβ”€β”€ multipart/
β”œβ”€β”€ packages/
β”œβ”€β”€ text/
β”œβ”€β”€ video/
β”œβ”€β”€ x-content/
β”œβ”€β”€ x-epoc/
β”œβ”€β”€ aliases
β”œβ”€β”€ .directory
β”œβ”€β”€ generic-icons
β”œβ”€β”€ globs
β”œβ”€β”€ globs2
β”œβ”€β”€ icons
β”œβ”€β”€ magic
β”œβ”€β”€ mime.cache
β”œβ”€β”€ subclasses
β”œβ”€β”€ treemagic
β”œβ”€β”€ types
β”œβ”€β”€ version
└── XMLnamespaces

All of those appear to be present in default/working system files; ex /usr/share/mime … so its something deeper, such as inside the applications directory.

I can post this later if you want, let me know. Thanks again for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.