4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 800
Graphics:
  Device-1: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] driver: nvidia v: 510.73.05
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.3 driver: X: loaded: nvidia
    gpu: nvidia resolution: 1: 1920x1080~60Hz 2: 1920x1080~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
    v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 510.73.05
code here

Desktop. Dual monitors. In messing about a few days ago I changed the theme from Breeze Dark to Breath Dark in System Settings/Global Theme section. In doing so I checked the ā€œUse Desktop layout from themeā€ box. In Breeze Dark I had set the left portion of the left most monitor to activate the application launcher (From Workspace Behavior/Screen edges). Although any other screen edge settings still worked, the app launcher no longer did. I created another user account and the screen edge/ app launcher worked. However when I changed the Global theme and checked the ā€œlayoutā€ checkbox againā€¦everything except the app launcher could be activated from the screen edges. Nothing I have so far discovered seems like a way to rectify this. I went through the process indicated by brahma in his kind help in this thread

and was able to rectify problems with the panel but not with the screen edge/app launcher.

I posted this in the KDE PLasma forum hoping someone might recommend changing things from the GUI or from the CLIā€¦or where the code for this setting is so I might diddle with that in an attempt to rectify the problem. Barring that I have the options of either creating another user account and moving some 500GB of videos and photos, along with documents over to the new account- 500GB of that moved on a system with a 1TB M2 driveā€¦ or nuking and paving and reinstalling but I have just done that within the last weerk in my migration from a spinning drive to an M2 soā€¦

Does anyone know where I might look in the .config files to trey to rectify this? Barring thatā€¦I have never migrated a user from one account to another on the same system. So I have some rank amateur questions hereā€¦ do the files have to be copied from one user account to another i.e. photos, videos &c. I also have one proprietary program ESET NOD32 for Linux that I run.Curious about whether this will need to be uninstalled and reinstalledā€¦I notice in System Setting/Users when one activated the ā€œDelete Userā€ button, below it appears a ā€œKeep Filesā€ option. Is there some way to keep files, settings and so forth from the deleted user and for those to migrate to the newly created user without reinstalling and wearing cp out?? One wonders exactly what files are kept and which are deleted orā€¦if one selects ā€œkeep filesā€ is only acces to the account wiped out?
Many thanks for everyone here, for the expertise and kind help.
Regards

In ~/.config/kwinrc
you should have somethig like this:

[ElectricBorders]
Left=ApplicationLauncher

However, I donā€™t know how it behaves with 2 monitors, so you are alone with that.
I am also not sure if the newly introduced Overview effect was activated initially by the same edge. You might check conflicts there.

1 Like

Hi raguseā€¦
thanks very much this is the kind of information I am looking forā€¦ I am going to examine the config files further. I have done some heavy editing on kwinrc, using the second user I created (where application launcher on screen edge ) works to no avail so I am at a bit of a lossā€¦ it seems like the electric border link to any application launcher was somehow broken and I am not sure where to find that. Again many thanks for the interest and helpā€¦and for the knowledge. You are the first to mention what might reside in any given .conf file.

Any sysadm types around who have experience either moving a user to a new account on the same system or experience with what files are left when the save file option is taken on deleting a user??
Another questionā€¦ were I to create a new user accountā€¦rather than having to cp or to drag files from >olduser< to could I not simply chown the directories I want saved from deleting the account? Or for that matter could not the entire /home directory be chown -R ? However given thgate I have karked up something somewhere in .config I think chown -R shouldnt be used for / home but for selected directories.
Thanks.

There might be a simpler solution to this:

• In order for the application launcher to open in any screen edge you need to assign a shortcut within the application launcher settings. Without a shortcut assigned it does not work.

• Right click on application launcher > Configure Application Dashboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Press the ā€˜Noneā€™ button > Then assign META+F1 to it. After that it should work.

1 Like

Sitting here with a cup of coffee contemplating various scenarios as to how to get all of thsi stuff to the new user account I createdā€¦ and thought to check the forum. Thanks very much raguse.It worked. I have been stressing about this for a couple of days since my changing appearances karked this upā€¦Seeing as how you posted this some 19 hours ago maybe I should check the forum more often!! :rofl: Sometimes I can be a little bit of a moronā€¦when I thought to do this I was contemplating the chown -R command for not having to copy everythingā€¦

Many kind thanks!!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.