Tuxedo InfinityBook Pro 14 Gen 8 Intel Iris Xe + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050

I actually once did as you do - not machine learning but coding and remote service - with a laptop for everything - I used Thinkpad T410 and T420 with a dock and two monitors - I had to add a cooling pad with a huge fan 12" or so to ventilate the device.

It was never the solution I hoped for thus my comment - my apologies if I appeared offensive - I am not.

So my comment is more like my personal opinion, like been there, done that - I mean 14" laptops - I don’t use for serious work for that I rely on a real desktop with an exorbitant amount of screen estate and a full keyboard.

Laptops - as powerful they may be - they tend to get awfully hot when put to real work.

I am crazy with hardware - just ask my wife.

I have a collection of laptops - these days they are mostly used for testing and when I occasionally leave the house - having something to keep me busy.

The suggestion I made about the driver thing - I believe there was a topic once where the poster used the dGPU only for CUDA related stuff - running everything else on the iGPU.

And I think the limitations with intensive GPU calculations are real.

I just recalled - I think @philm has a system with similar specs and a Nvidia 30xx.

Not at all! I was really curious as to why you thought it was a mistake. Thanks for your feedback.
You know, we do use bigger computers for the heavy work, but a laptop is very handy because it allows us to do prototyping (small things, just to check that the code is right and we’re going in the right direction before sending it for production) and we can take it with us whenever we travel :wink:

The T420 is still my favourite. I’m still using it, with Manjaro, and I’m very proud to have been able to do all my research on it for the last five years.

This was my original idea. The only thing stopping me is the fact that currently I can’t change the resolution of the screen.

1 Like

I admit it is strange.

I remember when I ordered this Tuxedo laptop back mid november 2023 there was a choice between the omnia 3K display and a 4K display.

If I recall that choice correct the omnia 3K display had a significantly lower power consumption but also - as I recall - some limitations with the display size - whereas the 4K was more flexible.

As I went for maximum battery - my primary usage - it should be able to last a full 8h work cycle - I did choose the omnia 3K.

I am fully aware that - for reasons yet unknown - the Ubuntu based Tuxedo OS seems to be more flexible with the Iris XE than Manjaro.

On a personal note - I am trying to figure out why …

Good luck with that. I can’t afford to wait any longer at the moment, but I will switch back to Manjaro as soon as a solution is found and I have some time to make the transition. Don’t forget to post the solution when/if you find it :wink:

I admit it will be a bit painful to leave a rolling release and go back to an Ubuntu-based distro… Although I also admit that TUXEDO has done a good job of tuning their OS for their machines.

It is apparently a general issue Can't change monitor resolution on Tuxedo InfinityBook Pro 14 - Gen7 / Laptop Issues / Arch Linux Forums

The internal notebook-screen is a 3K-Omnia-Display, which I strangely can’t change the screen resolution.

Precisely what I am experiencing.

Judging from the this above topic it appears Gnome is working - Plasma is not.

Possibly this is related to the version of Plasma used with Ubuntu.