Trying to install protonmail bridge downloaded pkgbuild file but not sure how to use

Hi
So Im trying to use my protonmail account on thunderbird and when i looked through the protonmail support page it directed me to download a PKGBUILD file I couldnt figure out how to use this file so i searched the forum and came across a post about something called autogit which seems to facillitate the use of such files. My question is how do I use this tool. Im going to post the file I downloaded if its of any use

# Maintainer: Proton Technologies AG (ProtonMail Bridge developers) <bridge@protonmail.ch>
_pkgname=protonmail-bridge
pkgname=$_pkgname-bin
pkgver=1.8.7
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="The Bridge is an application that runs on your computer in the background and seamlessly encrypts and decrypts your mail as it enters and leaves your computer."
arch=("x86_64")
url="https://www.protonmail.com/bridge"
license=("GPLv3")
depends=( 'libglvnd' 'qt5-base' 'qt5-declarative' 'qt5-multimedia' 'qt5-svg' 'qt5-quickcontrols' 'qt5-quickcontrols2' 'glibc' 'gcc-libs' 'glib2' 'ttf-dejavu' )
optdepends=( 'pass: pass support' 'gnome-keyring: gnome-keyring support')
conflicts=("$_pkgname" "$_pkgname-beta-bin")
provides=("$_pkgname")
source=("https://protonmail.com/download/bridge/protonmail-bridge_1.8.7-1_amd64.deb")
sha256sums=("8b1e56cd16f625ae285f8a2d6ff11840973e606520059d79ebd20d050cd03bb8")

package() {
  tar -xzC "$pkgdir" -f data.tar.gz
  rm -rf "$pkgdir/opt"
}

So how do I use this file?

It exists in the AUR: AUR (en) - protonmail-bridge

Use Pamac (“Add/Remove Software”) to install it. Make sure to enable AUR support in its preferences.

As long as everything looks legit to you in the PKGBUILD, such as the “source” and build/package instructions, as well as other users’ comments, you should be fine.

i used pamac build protonmail-bridge and it seemed to work however the package maintainer name was slightly different but Im not sure if thats because the pkgbuild file was a more general description or whatever. However I havent come across any comments on the AUR claiming that its malicious in nature and I emailed protonmail support asking about whether or not this was the authorized package. Should I just reinstall manjaro?

Why? Sounds like everything went smoothly.

The PKGBUILD on the AUR is formatted correctly and has correct package and build instructions (used by Pamac, makepkg, etc).

The sources appear to originate from Proton’s official GitHub.

I don’t understand what the problem or concern is?

yeah Im just a bit irrationally paranoid. I have to say the software is not the best. A staggering drop in performance. but thanks for the help

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.