Trying to compile emulationstation

I am trying to get emulationstation to compile, but it errors out looking for the OPENGLES headers. How do I get these installed so the AUR package will compile:

– Detecting CXX compile features - done
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.19/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:218 (message):
Could NOT find OpenGLES2 (missing: OPENGLES2_gl_LIBRARY)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-3.19/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:582 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
CMake/Packages/FindOpenGLES2.cmake:26 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
CMakeLists.txt:79 (find_package)

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/home/neofax/.cache/yay/emulationstation/src/EmulationStation-2.9.4/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
Aborting…
error making: emulationstation

GLES build notes

If your system doesn’t have a working GLESv2 implementation, the GLESv1 legacy renderer can be compiled in by adding -DUSE_GLES1=On to the build options.

Actually one needs to pay attention to the README in the link above concerning the pi4. As the PKGBUILD defaults using a 32 bit image where it is looking for the 32 bit libs not available on a 64 bit image so one needs to use the mesa libs in our repo.

if the Pi system uses the Mesa VC3/V3D GL driver, build using -DUSE_MESA_GLES=On to choose the MESA GLES implementation. This option is mandatory when compiling for a Pi4 system, since the legacy GL drivers are not supported anymore on this system.

So in the PKGBUILD add the line here:

cmake ..\
-DUSE_MESA_GLES=On \
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RELEASE

I was able to build the package here with this using the emulationstaion-git PKGBUILD from AUR.

Summary

[100%] Built target emulationstation
==> Entering fakeroot environment…
==> Starting package()…
==> Tidying install…
→ Removing libtool files…
→ Purging unwanted files…
→ Removing static library files…
→ Stripping unneeded symbols from binaries and libraries…
→ Compressing man and info pages…
==> Checking for packaging issues…
==> Creating package “emulationstation-git”…
→ Generating .PKGINFO file…
→ Generating .BUILDINFO file…
→ Generating .MTREE file…
→ Compressing package…
==> Leaving fakeroot environment.
==> Signing package(s)…
→ Created signature file emulationstation-git-1:2.4.1.r618.g064a1818-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.zst.sig.
==> Finished making: emulationstation-git 1:2.4.1.r618.g064a1818-1 (Sun 14 Mar 2021 01:33:52 PM CDT)

1 Like

Thank you for the responses. I have already compiled the non-git version and have compiled some of my libretro cores. I just wish there were Retropie bash scripts for Manjaro like there is for Raspbian. I have been working on this for two days now and still have not been able to start playing a game. :grimacing: