Trouble installing suckless st (simple terminal)

Hello,
I was trying to install the st terminal. I am getting this error on running the sudo make clean install command.
This is the output error message:

rm -f st st.o x.o st-0.8.4.tar.gz
c99 -I/usr/X11R6/include  `pkg-config --cflags fontconfig`  `pkg-config --cflags freetype2` -DVERSION=\"0.8.4\" -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600  -O1 -c st.c
/bin/sh: line 1: pkg-config: command not found
c99 -I/usr/X11R6/include  `pkg-config --cflags fontconfig`  `pkg-config --cflags freetype2` -DVERSION=\"0.8.4\" -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600  -O1 -c x.c
In file included from x.c:15:
/usr/include/X11/Xft/Xft.h:39:10: fatal error: ft2build.h: No such file or directory
   39 | #include <ft2build.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [Makefile:22: x.o] Error 1

I have tried to look online for some solutions, I found this Reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/j4ah8c/comment/g7hmjle/
but It does not conclude with an actual solution.

If no solution can be implemented easily, I am willing to reinstall manjaro and try to then install st, but only as a last resort as it may be time-consuming to do so.

Thanks

Do you have base-devel installed?

1 Like

No.
I have seen It being installed in some of the st tutorials on youtube. I didn’t install it cause I thought I could install the absent packages individually as I needed them.

After install of base-devel (default all):
Thank you for the help, st has been installed perfectly.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.