Trouble in installing second SSD

I have acquired a second SSD and I installed it onto my computer via SATA cable. It was not partitioned previously, so I decided to partition it in KDE Partition manager. It says “One Pending Operation” but it never loads. I am just trying to get some extra storage space for my data and applications. How do I configure the SSD into a usable second drive?

Have you clicked “Apply” ?

Yes. However, it still says that the disk is unallocated and I don’t know how to put data on the disk. Can I configure it to use as a second drive for storage?

1) You need to partition the new SSD first.
For a second drive it might be approbiate to just have one partition.
2) Then format it in the partition manager. I use mostly ext4, sometimes ntfs if I want to share data with a dual boot Windows system.
3) Then you have to add your newly formatted partition into the file /etc/fstab
Get an idea from the other entries there.
The partition manager and ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ are your friends to find the correct name(s).
You are free with the mount point(s). I add additional storage under my /home directory since I want to keep it neat and I am the only user on my computer.
Add the mountpoint(s) as user 3rabbs (assuming you want the mountpoint(s) in your home directory) - not as root.

# mount -a to make the newly added partion available
and then df -h shows your success. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You might need a chown -R 3rabbs /home/3rabbs/newmount if you can not access your newly added space.

I have created the partition map for the second SSD. I don’t see an option for creating a partition or formatting it in the KDE partition manager. Can it be done via the partition manager or is there a command to be done via the command line?

Wait I think I found it. I have created a partition on the SSD. How do I access it, i.e to use it as a storage device? When I try to copy over any file, it says “access denied, could not write to SSD”

If you formatted it in say, ext, then it is a journaled and permissioned filesystem.
(which is right and good and normal for linux … try to drop-copy-paste a file into /etc/ … you cant)
This is a longer topic, with other threads and answers and wiki information.
If you need help with that … probably start a new topic … but please do a basic search first.

This should help.

I went through the document and entered the commands in console

sudo mkdir -p /home/<username>

and

sudo chmod ugo+rwx /home/user

I entered

sudo chmod ugo+rwx $mount
mkdir $mount/secondarySSD

but it says "chmod: missing operand after ‘ugo+rwx’ and 'permission denied. ’
respectively

Your above post tells me that you have little understanding of what needs to happen before you can use your drive to store data.
The above document is giving examples - nothing can be just copy/pasted but needs to be understood and adapted to your personal situation and wishes.

• first you partition the drive
    There are multiple tools to do it - KDE partition manager is just one of them.
    There is gparted as another graphical tool
    and then there are command line tools to do it:
    fdisk, cfdisk, gdisk ...

• after you have partitioned the drive (it seems you did that by now)
    you need to put a filesystem on it

Only with a filesystem on it can the drive be used,
be “mounted” to some directory.

The KDE partition manager and gparted can do this too.
or you do it via command line:
mkfs.ext4 for example, to create an ext4 filesystem

Only then you can try to mount it somewhere - but please:
not to /home/user

Do you have a filesystem on the partitioned drive? Did you create one?

also, don’t do this:
sudo chmod ugo+rwx /home/user

It’ll mess up the permissions of that user account - everyone will be able to access it.

Just checking: you want to give <username> its own partition?

Did you intend to set the mount folder permission twice?

You did understand that <username> and $mount in the tutorials are to be replaced with actual values… right?

I have partitioned the drive to a ext4 partition. The computer definitely recognizes the partition; the output of lsblk is

AME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
sda      8:0    0 447.1G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0 447.1G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0 447.1G  0 disk 
└─sdb1   8:17   0 447.1G  0 part 

wth sdb1 being listed as an ext4 in KDE Partition Manager. Is there a difference between partition type and partition filesystem?

I know KDE Partition Manger has an “Edit Mount Point” but I am unsure of what path to mount it to. I am the sole user of the computer, so I’m not worried about it being accessed by other users. I see that there is an option “edit mount point” in the KDE Partition manager but I don’t want to mess with it without fully understanding what this function does (I don’t want to f up my ssd.)

I can’t find any video references or walkthroughs on how to set up a second storage device for ssds, the only references to it I can find at all are on the manjaro forum. Sorry for inexperience.