Treiber installieren ohne Internet

Hallo an alle,

Folgendes Problem. Hier steht ein Notebook vom Nachbarn auf dem ich jetzt Manjaro installiert habe. LENOVO G50-30
Dieser besitzt einmal den
Broadcom BCM43142 Chip
und den
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Chip

Für den Broadcom ist kein Treiber installiert. Keine Verbindung möglich.
Für den Realtek ist r8169 geladen. Funktioniert nicht.
Kurz keine Verbindung zum Internet.
Was tun ?

I don’t think the:

…module will work.

So in short I’d recommend some way of connecting to the internet, somehow…

Edit:

Or download it on your pc, and install it manually on the laptop:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/r8168-dkms

I have tried that. I downloaded the snapshot, but make etc is not installed.

In that case, you’ll have to get the dependencies, like that, from your cache, copy it to the laptop’s cache, and try to install it then…

Edit:

The base-devel metapackage:

$ pamac info base-devel
Name                  : base-devel
Version               : 1-2
Description           : Basic tools to build Manjaro Linux packages
URL                   : https://www.manjaro.org
Licences              : GPL
Repository            : core
Groups                : --
Depends On            : archlinux-keyring autoconf automake binutils bison debugedit fakeroot file findutils flex gawk gcc gettext grep groff gzip libtool m4 make manjaro-keyring pacman patch pkgconf sed sudo texinfo which
Optional Dependencies : --
Required By           : --
Optional For          : --
Provides              : --
Replaces              : --
Conflicts With        : --
Packager              : Mark Wagie <mark@manjaro.org>
Build Date            : Tue 21 Feb 2023 18:32:58
Install Date          : Fri 31 Mar 2023 09:30:37
Install Reason        : Explicitly installed
Validated By          : Signature
Backup files          : --
pamac info base-devel
Name                  : base-devel
Version               : 1-2
Description           : Basic tools to build Manjaro Linux packages
URL                   : https://www.manjaro.org
Licences              : GPL
Repository            : core
Groups                : --
Depends On            : archlinux-keyring autoconf automake binutils bison debugedit fakeroot file findutils flex gawk gcc gettext grep groff gzip libtool m4 make manjaro-keyring pacman patch pkgconf sed sudo texinfo which
Optional Dependencies : --
Required By           : --
Optional For          : --
Provides              : --
Replaces              : --
Conflicts With        : --
Packager              : Mark Wagie <mark@manjaro.org>
Build Date            : Tue 21 Feb 2023 18:32:58
Install Date          : Fri 31 Mar 2023 09:30:37
Install Reason        : Explicitly installed
Validated By          : Signature
Backup files          : --

…has the following dependencies:

archlinux-keyring autoconf automake binutils bison debugedit fakeroot file findutils flex gawk gcc gettext grep groff gzip libtool m4 make manjaro-keyring pacman patch pkgconf sed sudo texinfo which

So I’d guess copy the files for the packages from your cache to the laptop’s cache (by default located in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/, if I’m not mistaken.) and then install it with:

pacman -S base-devel

There no database files

Try the same, copy them from your PC. You can always delete them if something breaks…

You can try to download only the driver from the repos instead of dkms from another machine and somehow transfer it there, like with a flash drive
https://mirror.easyname.at/manjaro/pool/overlay/linux61-r8168-8.052.01-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

(for kernel 6.1)
and then install offline
sudo pacman -U /some/folder/with/packages/linux61-r8168-8.052.01-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

This Way works ARE i have
r8168.ko.xz
modinfo says no module found
The other modules have ***.ko.zst

Just passing by.

I saw mentioned recently, that r8169 drivers are in the latest kernels, and to just use that. How relevant that is to this situation, I don’t know, but good luck finding a solution. Cheers.

He seems to have an older laptop where 8169 may not work.

1 Like

What does that mean?
Probably it means you need to refresh the mirrors you use to download from/you get your files from.
Search for how to resolve that issue.

In today’s day and age, you likely have an Android phone or an IPhone - which will make things like this much easier to solve.

If the device (Laptop) has no internet connectivity via LAN or WLAN
as you describe it
use a (Android phone or IPhone) and use it’s internet connection (if you have enough data to use)

But you don’t even need the phones own mobile data connection
just have it use your main internet - connect it to it
and then use the phones connection to

… tether it, so that you can use it’s ability to connect and then share that internet connection.
USB Tethering or wireless HotSpot - if you have a WLAN that you can connect it to.

If the phone can connect, you can share that connection easily and use it.

In order to be able to build -dkms modules, you need to install the “base-devel” package group (all of it) as a prerequisite.

Use the phone’s internet -
or use the phone’s ability to connect to your internet device and to then share that connection.

No drivers - no problem. Use USB Tethering.

Something to consider: A USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (RJ45) might be a decent workaround, allowing you to connect directly to your router, bypassing the onboard r8168 completely.

Naturally, do some homework to make sure one of these will be supported under Linux; I imagine it should though; being via USB.

Of course, this assumes there is a modem/router/switch to connect to. :wink:

Here are some from the cheaper end of the pricing spectrum: USB3 to Gigabit RJ45, as an example; and here’s one from Lenovo (USB-C to RJ45).

The Idea to use wifi hotspot to download the driver for wifi which is not working is of course, not worth a comment if i have to be veeeery polite :scream:

But to use USB Tethering is actually a good idea. It is, however, very much phone dependent and will not always work. But for a recent phone from a big brand name should be ok. And it is free to test. I just tested with Pixel 4a with android 13.

Sorry for writing only now.
The idea with the mobile phone and USB tethering was brilliant.
It saved a lot of time. Thanks again for that.
I have connected the Broadcom WiFi with
sudo mhwd -i pci network-broadcom-wl
to get it working.
With the Realtek, the kernel module is a problem. As mentioned above.
Thanks to all for your ideas

1 Like

It should be even easier. Isn’t it automatically shown as a suggestion in Hardware section in the manjaro settings? If not, search with pamac

linux61-r8168

If you are on the 6.1 kernel, otherwise adapt the number.