Transmission Cinnamon Dark Theme

A few months ago, an update changed something in the rendering of Transmission (dark theme) on my old Manjaro Cinnamon install. The hover popups are now written in white on yellow background, which is almost impossible for me to read.

Now I have no idea if that’s because I’m using an old (up-to-date) install or if it’s something I have broken somehow.

Could anyone using Manjaro Cinnamon tell me if it’s working for them? Thank you.

trans1

Do you have the following installed?

qgnomeplatform-qt5
qgnomeplatform-qt6

Do you have transmission-gtk or transmission-qt installed?

I have transmission-gtk installed.
qgnomeplatform-qt* is not installed.

Have you tried a different theme?

I’ve tried transmission-qt and both qgnomeplatform with no luck.
I then changed my theme from Mint-Y-Dark-Teal to something else and it worked. It seems that all Mint-Y-Dark give me this white/yellow color on popups.

I’ve found where the background color is set: /usr/share/themes/Mint-Y-Dark-Teal/gtk-4.0/gtk.css
The tooltip background is yellow and the front color is supposed to be dark grey, but in Transmission the front color is white (probably not using the tooltip front color at all).
I’ve swapped both colors and now it works: Transmission’s tooltips are white on dark grey background and I guess it will be yellow on grey for the other apps, which is fine.

tooltip {
  color: #fbeaa0; //#4a4a4a;
  border-radius: 2px;
  border: 1px solid #d0d0d0; }
  tooltip.background {
    background-color: #4a4a4a; //#fbeaa0;
    background-clip: padding-box; }
    tooltip.background label {
      padding: 4px; }

what are the contents of you ~/.profile?

Actually, I just installed Transmission on my system and it does the same thing, it would appear to be a bug in transmission. I personally use deluge-gtk, may be an alternative for you.

No its not.

1 Like

It was working fine a few weeks/months ago. I’ve opened an issue on Transmission’s github, maybe they have more clues?

I guess it’s either this or a bug in Mint-Y-Dark.

Why does this keep being repeated?
Why have you bothered the transmission devs?

It has been very clearly demonstrated that its caused by your theme.

If you want to raise an issue… then make sure you are using the latest version… then raise it here:

Sorry, I haven’t seen your previous message in time.

That wasn’t clear for me.

Here are the two relevant blocks in gtk.css

Line #1

.background {
  color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.87); //  <-- this is the text color used in Transmission
  background-color: rgba(56, 56, 56, 0.999); }

and (line #2876)

tooltip {
  color: #4a4a4a;
  border-radius: 2px;
  border: 1px solid #d0d0d0; }
  tooltip.background {
    background-color: #fbeaa0; // <-- This is the background color used in Transmission
    background-clip: padding-box; }
    tooltip.background label {
      padding: 4px; }

The front and back colors are taken from different blocks, so I guess it’s only “luck” if it works with another theme. I may still be wrong but I don’t think it hurts asking the devs about it.