TP-Link UE330 (RTL8153)

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a USB to Ethernet adapter TP-Link UE330.
I found this on Github:

Searching “8153” in AUR there is:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/r8152-dkms
Is there anything more to do than build/install the AUR package?

Thanks.

Quote:

This repository features a Linux driver for TP-Link UE300/UE330 USB to Ethernet adapters, which are based on Realtek RTL8153 chipset.

Even though the driver for this chipset is now included in the Kernel tree, but for some odd reasons, devices utilising this driver misbehave significantly. One of which is random connection dropouts that happens without any reason!

This is the only driver release that I found addressing the above mentioned issue permamnently.

Tested with UE330 on ‘Ubuntu 18.04.1’ with kernel ‘4.15.0-43-generic’ and the issue is completely eliminated since.

The driver is included in the kernel. Therefore no need for a dkms. The Problem was in Kernel 4.15, but latest LTS Kernel is 5.4. Remember the git repo has no changes since 2 years.

I would guess, that the problem described there has been gone.

btw this is the repo used by the aur you mentioned: GitHub - wget/realtek-r8152-linux: A kernel module for Realtek RTL8152/RTL8153 Based USB Ethernet Adapters - Meant to be used in distributions only - For upstream bugs, please report them to your distribution maintainer or to Realtek.

Thanks,

Have ordered the adapter and will report back.

Hi,

Seems to work fine.
All USB slots used simultaneously copying files works.
Network also works even together with USB slots.
Speed seems ok but have to do test transfer to/from NAS to see if it can reach near Gb.

1 Like

Not good after all.

Doing up/download test to the NAS shows a steady 21,4 MiB/s.
That reminds me of USB 2 speed.

dmesg shows:

[  +0,029984] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=0411, bcdDevice= 1.33
[  +0,000007] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[  +0,000004] usb 2-2: Product: 4-Port USB 3.0 Hub
[  +0,000003] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Generic
[  +0,010187] hub 2-2:1.0: USB hub found
[  +0,001472] hub 2-2:1.0: 4 ports detected
[  +0,101132] usb 1-2: new high-speed USB device number 8 using xhci_hcd
[  +0,158943] usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=5411, bcdDevice= 1.33
[  +0,000009] usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[  +0,000006] usb 1-2: Product: 4-Port USB 2.0 Hub
[  +0,000004] usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Generic
[  +0,002186] hub 1-2:1.0: USB hub found
[  +0,001133] hub 1-2:1.0: 4 ports detected
[  +0,064430] usb 2-2.4: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[  +0,020396] usb 2-2.4: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8153, bcdDevice=30.00
[  +0,000006] usb 2-2.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=6
[  +0,000004] usb 2-2.4: Product: USB 10/100/1000 LAN
[  +0,000003] usb 2-2.4: Manufacturer: Realtek
[  +0,000003] usb 2-2.4: SerialNumber: 000001000000
[  +0,076539] usb 2-2.4: reset SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 9 using xhci_hcd
[  +0,039184] r8152 2-2.4:1.0: load rtl8153a-3 v2 02/07/20 successfully
[  +0,027627] r8152 2-2.4:1.0 eth0: v1.11.11
[  +0,046870] r8152 2-2.4:1.0 enp0s20f0u2u4: renamed from eth0

Anyone any idea how to get it to USB 3?
Different USB 3 port makes no difference.
It negotiates 1 Gb/s.

Thanks.

There is something wrong with the r8152 driver: 205923 – TP-Link UE300 USB 3.0 to GigaBit ethernet adpater using r8152 module very slow after kernel 5.4 upgrade
It looks like the buffer size is the problem. Maybe this dkms solves this problem:

pamac build r8152-dkms

Don’t forget to install the header first!

Good success :wink:

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for your time.

Installed linux54/57/58-headers and r8152-dkms.
Unfortunately the same performance.

Will try 54 and 57 kernel when I have enough time again.

Thanks.

Hi,

btw… this one works better: The Plugable USB 3 Ethernet Adapter and Linux | Delightly Linux

:wink: