Timeshift-gtk dumps core

Just downgrade to 2.72 ans add to ignore in you pacman.conf file.

I made contact with Tony George (creator of Timeshift), and he said he’d take a look.

4 Likes

What kernel are you using? At 5.15 it’s not stable, at 5.19 it’s better). I also noticed that it saves more stable on the system disk than on an external one. In general, yes, it would be better if the creator looked

I fear I might break something… All my snapshots were deleted from the GUI. Currently there is no snapshots however Filelight shows they were actually NOT deleted.

All I need is my space back.
When I hit Browse Timeshift takes me to:

/run/timeshift/50446/backup/timeshift/snapshots/

Manually delete the folder - is it safe enough to proceed?

Assuming the issue only applies to timeshift-GUI, as pointed out in this thread, I think it’s worth trying to use some command lines as a workaround for now. I took the liberty of adding in this reply some basic information regarding the timeshift CLI usage.

1. The usual way to delete a snapshot is to direct timeshift itself to do it.
sudo timeshift --list
sudo timeshift --delete --snapshot '[snapshot]' 
  1. Sometimes, it just doesn’t happen and there are leftovers. In that case, you can make use of a few BTRFS command lines whilst you mount the subvolumes you are dealing with:
sudo btrfs subvolume list / 

In my computer, for example, I have currently:

sudo btrfs subvolume list /                                                                                                                                                                                                  ✔ 
[sudo] password for cb: 
ID 257 gen 73498 top level 5 path @cache
ID 258 gen 73499 top level 5 path @log
ID 2064 gen 73375 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-08_14-56-29/@
ID 2598 gen 73375 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-04_09-46-54/@
ID 2606 gen 73375 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-05_18-42-59/@
ID 2626 gen 73499 top level 5 path @
ID 2631 gen 73346 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-09_10-00-02/@
ID 2643 gen 73346 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-10_10-00-01/@
ID 2724 gen 73419 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-11_19-23-22/@
ID 2725 gen 73421 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-11_19-24-02/@
ID 2726 gen 73432 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-11_19-43-28/@
ID 2727 gen 73491 top level 5 path timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-12_08-31-21/@
  1. Say I want to delete 2022-10-08_14-56-29, the oldest entry in the list, then I can use:
sudo btrfs subvolume delete /run/timeshift/backup/timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2022-10-08_14-56-29/@ 
  1. Now, say you want to create a snapshot more up-to-date, which I am calling Stable settings in this example. Use then:
sudo timeshift --create --btrfs --comments "Stable settings" 
  1. And if you need to restore a snapshot, use this:
sudo timeshift --restore

Here you need to choose the one you want to go back, and enter the selection. Press the ‘y’ key when It asks about reinstalling the GRUB2 bootloader, then press the enter key again and finally, press the ‘y’ key to start the system restore…

Because timeshift-GUI might be working fine there, you can also restore a snapshot using a live USB of Manjaro, Ventoy is highly recommendable for creating one if you still don’t have it. However, I haven’t tested restoring a snapshot with a recent image, reason why I said it might work.

Hope this helps everyone here.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Does timeshift cli have a dry run option

Maybe keep us posted on this one. How does he try to replicate the issues?

1 Like

I’m having the same issue…
it crashes when I try to run on gui mode with rsync, but I can run it on btrfs mode and can also run on cli mode.

Timeshift was constantly crashing after the last update, but I’m also meeting other problems.

One of them is that LibreOffice will not start correctly. The process is running, but I can’t open any of the windows, even if the panel shows them as active, and ALT-TAB also shows them.

So I ran timeshift from the terminal and went back to an earlier snapshot. However, the libreoffice problem persisted across the restore, making me suspect that the timeshift snapshots are broken, even if the restore process seemingly went well.

Now I need someone to hold my hand while sorting things out: Is there a way to check the integrity of the Timeshift snapshots?

I also wonder how to set all updates on hold and testing the upgrade of packages one by one. Specifically, even if I tell Pamac to ignore all updates, selecting only Firefox for updating, pamac wants to replace steam-manjaro with steam even if Firefox doesn’t depend on either of those packages.

Partial updates are not supported, and will lead to breakage sooner or later.
steam-manjaro no longer exists in the repos, hence why the update process is asking you to replace it.

Instead, if you are on BTRFS, you can install snapper, snapper-gui and btrfs assistant and the snapper pamac hook. Use the assistant to create a new snapshot, so you can have a failsafe before larger system updates. You can keep timeshift installed around if you want to. However you decide, set just one of them to an automatic schedule, so you don’t waste space.

1 Like

The issue you are having with Libre Office might be this one.

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/libreoffice-calc-does-not-open-correctly-after-recent-testing-update/122084

I am having the same issue, no solution offered in that thread though.

1 Like

I posted my workaround there

1 Like

Please keep the thread on-topic, thanks. :wink:

2 Likes

Mounted ‘/dev/nvme0n1p6’ at ‘/run/timeshift/44092/backup’
Device : /dev/nvme0n1p6
UUID : d540af20-98bf-4853-84e1-5bce691c998d
Path : /run/timeshift/44092/backup
Mode : RSYNC
First snapshot requires: 0 B

No snapshots found

Found stale mount for device ‘/dev/nvme0n1p6’ at path ‘/run/timeshift/44092/backup’
Unmounted successfully

Hence my question - if “No snapshots found”

Yes, if the snapshots did not register to the timeshift database, then you can manually delete them without any consequences.

Do however note that you need root privileges to do so, and you also have to make sure that the target filesystem is mounted.

2 Likes

You are using RSYNC. You can use it directly to make sure Timeshift CLI isn’t broken for you. It is possible Timeshift wasn’t behaving properly before.

Anyways, you can use:

rsync options source

Check this blog post with examples.

Or run man in the terminal emulator for more details.

man rsync

There’s also Grsync in our repository, if you would prefer a GUI for RSYNC.

If your timeshift CLI isn’t broken, you can try restoring from it, but you won’t have a dry run as the GUI does and it will restore directly. However, you can run the Timeshift app which comes from a Manjaro’s Live Iso instead to make sure if there is any snapshot saved or not. You can only restore from the Live ISO, you cannot backup with Timeshift from there.

1 Like

The issue should be fixed with 22.06.5-3 coming along shortly.

12 Likes

That includes the fix from Tony George’s new release 22.06.6? (I tried this one and it works well.)

2 Likes

Yes, I cherry picked the commit.

6 Likes