Timeshift error to restore snapshot on fully encrypted installation

This is for newbies like myself, I have not the expertise to write the many aspects of this that could go wrong. So, modify it as you think it can be right for your particular situation, I do not take responsability for the results.
I have Manjaro xfce fully encrypted with the GUI at installation time. After installing the updates, it didnā€™t work, so, I tried to go back to the latest snapshot. I booted with an .iso burned on an usb-stick, but timeshift give me an error ā€œBoot device not selectedā€, pointing that the ā€œ/bootā€ option (on the timeshift gui) was pointed to ā€œKeep on root deviceā€, which was encrypted, and that apparently is not right (which is not correct).
So, I just runned timeshift from terminal, but didnā€™t find the right optionsā€¦, here are the steps I followed:

• burn a manjaro .iso installation file to an usb-stick, and boot with it.
  • double click on the ā€œFile Systemā€ icon on your desktop.
  • in the file manager window that oppened, go to the left panel, and double click on the encrypted volume where manjaro is installed
  • it will ask for your password, choose the ā€œRemember password until you logoutā€ option, write your encryption key, and press enter
  • go to menu, open ā€œTerminalā€, type the following command and hit enter:
    sudo timeshift --restore
  • if it asks for your password, write it and give it enter
  • a list of available snapshots will appear, chose the one you wish (I would go for the last, butā€¦), write the correspondent number and hit enter.
  • a message will appear, saying ā€œTo restore with default options, press the ENTER key for all prompts!ā€, and ā€œPress ENTER to continueā€, hit enter
    (In my case, I have my SSD mounted as sda, so, the following instructions are for that situationā€¦).
  • It will then ask for the root ("/") device, offering as default something like ā€œ/dev/dm-0ā€, which is right, so, hit enter, for the default option
  • It will then ask for the ā€œ/boot/efiā€ installation site, and again, the default (something like ā€œ/dev/sda1ā€) is right, so, hit enter again
  • it will ask if you want to ā€œRe-install GRUB2 bootloader?ā€, write ā€œyā€, and choose the default place, which in my case is ā€œ/dev/sdaā€, so, press enter
  • you will get then the final advice (disclamer), write ā€œyā€, hit enter, and that is it.
    Finally, the options are:
    ā€œ/ā€ goes in ā€œ/dev/dm-0ā€
    ā€œ/boot/efiā€, in ā€œ/dev/sda1ā€
    and to ā€œRe-install GRUB2 bootloader?ā€, you write ā€œyā€, and choose ā€œ/dev/sdaā€
    When timeshift ended, I just rebooted and everything worked fineā€¦

OR it looks like you need to read this:

OR it looks like you need to read this:

Let me know if you need any help with either.

:thinking:

Fabby, thanks for your adviceā€¦; three things:
1.- I think I never wrote in my previous post, that I hadā€™t properly backed-up my data filesā€¦ (which I had).-
2.- It was just timeshift that was not working (and still isnā€™t, for some people, if you are intrested): what I did was to AVOID reinstalling; if available at the time, the info I provided would have being important for me (and I hope it can help other people).
3.- I am not an English native speaker, so, I could not say which the spelling and/or grammer mistakes are; sorry; just speaking English, French, Italian, Spanish and some other thing, keeps me without learning the writing of it allā€¦ And bullying me about my writing in English couldnā€™t work, not for you, nor for me, because I know my excuses; Āæwhich are yours?, I am curious. I suere I did my best; sorry if it is not at the level you would like it.
Have fun.

• I can get into trouble in 10 languages but only out of trouble in 6; no Spanish is not one of them.
  • Yes, English spelling is hard, grammar is easy.
  • If you donā€™t want to convert this post into a tutorial thatā€™s fine.
  • If you donā€™t want a cold System backup but want to continue using timeshift, thatā€™s fine as well.

:+1: