Thunar samba share credentials

Hi, I hope someone can point me to the right direction.

I’m running
Kernel: Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.8.18-1-MANJARO
DE: Xfce4
WM: Xfwm4

I work for a company who has local servers for each department, initially I am able to access the server through thunar by typing smb://192.168.79.14/teamone/, and another location smb://192.168.79.3/imagerepo/, both of them have their own usernames and passwords to access, now given that I’m the only one using the company laptop, I clicked remember forever when asked for the username and password credentials.

note that the server we have is windows based
a few days ago the IT department updated the usernames and passwords for this location smb://192.168.79.14/teamone/ and the other location above stays the same. Now on on a windows machine I just need to find the windows credential manager and edit the username and password from there, I cannot seem to find that here on linux

I have been searching and everything seems to be pointing me to the samba.conf file and it’s not here

[global]
server role = standalone server
map to guest = Bad User
usershare allow guests = yes
hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/16

[test]
comment = test123
path = /home/jcc/Videos/share
read only = no
guest ok = yes
force user = jcc
force group = jcc

I’m pretty new at this and my bash skills are pretty low level, and I have been reading documentation after documentation, and it’s getting a bit too much for me.

I hope someone can identify which folder or file those credentials are stored should solve the problem.

Hello @rockyboy612 :wink:

I guess you use then gvfs in thunar. gvfs saves the passwords with gnome-keyring.

For easier handling, you will need to install seahorse, which is a nice GUI for gnome-keyring.

pamac install seahorse

There you need to delete the password and then type in again the password in thunar when accessing the samba server…

Since gvfs is the same everywhere, here a link to the red hat documentation:

you are a hero, thank you very much!

— edit
I would like to clarify while seahorse did not exactly show it to me (it only gives me skype for some reason) I realized those GVFS files (that i found at my home folder /.local/share/) and keyring is actually empty when logged in to another user account, so I assumed I can get away by deleting these files. And it worked

the hint about GVFS and Keyring was super helpful. It’s really awesome to know what people in this forum are nice enough to answer even petty questions like mine. Again thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.