ThinkPad and charge threshold

Hello!! :grinning:
After several years running KDE on my ThinkPad laptop, I’ve decided to try Gnome.

On my previous KDE installation, I had set the battery charge threshold to 79% with a native option.

I was looking for the same config in Gnome, when I realize that the battery already doesn’t charge over 79% without doing anything.

I know that this can be achieved with TLP, but this package isn’t installed by default.

Is there any hidden setting to adjust this?

Thank you very much!! :grinning:

You can try the Battery Health Charging GNOME Shell Extension.

It’s also in the AUR (Arch User Repository) as gnome-shell-extension-battery-health-charging-git maintained by me.

1 Like

I think tlp is installed by default, only the gui is not. At least on xfce.

That means the setting is hardware stored.

The setting is just a GUI wrapper over what the system provides. In this regard, execute:

$ ls /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0

and look for anything resembling threshold. I’m not sure what the name is in Thinkpad, but it’s quite commonly named charge_control_end_threshold. You can just echo under root or sudo tee the percentage number (without percent symbol) you want it to stop charging.

1 Like

It used to be, however it was removed from ISO profiles well over a year ago.

Yes, I have found this extension searching in the forum, after installing I can modify the battery charge treshold, thank you very for your suggestion!! :grinning: :grinning:

I didn´t know that you’re maintaining it in AUR, I’m going to delete and install again your version.

Best regards!! :grinning:

1 Like

This is the output:

I can achieve what I want with the extension above mentioned.

Anyways, thank you very much for your help!!

Best regards!! :grinning:

Indeed. Among just a few others…

442 packages found.

:scream: 1

1 I hadn’t looked in awhile :laughing:

1 Like

Nice, ThinkPad has both start and end threshold control. My Legion only has conservation mode whoch is a simple toggle, no way to set tbe percentage number, it’s hardcoded in the firmware.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.