Thief II: The Metal Age

Hi,
I am trying to run Thief II on Manjaro. It is an old game (2000).
I installed the T2 fix so it will run on modern OS (needed for Windows too). When I click Play in Steam, it seems be starting, then I get a “running” message, though never appears on screen and then the Play button reverts so I can press Play again. (So it appears the game dies before it draws anything on the screen.

I thought it was a Proton issue, but saw it was working for others, so I added a PopOS! instance and I can run it there with the T2 patch and the Experimental Proton (so works on Linux/Steam).

In Manjaro, I am up to date, tried switching to different kernels 6.10, 6.6. 6.1, and Proton 6,7,8,9, Experimental and the latest GE. I also tried the same with X11 and Wayland.

I have an AMD 5600x CPU, 32gb of ram, and an Nvida RTX 2080 Super.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Thanks.
GS

Okay, now I feel dumb. I just double clicked the executable and launched it with Wine (bypassing Steam and Proton entirely), set the resolution and it runs fine. How do I mark this as resolved in this forum? Thanks.
GS

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.